what bike to get

Hi boys,

I am an old roadracer. The older I get the faster I was, you know.

Looking to get into offroad. But I am confused about what to get. I will be doing some trail riding and some MX. I am 6 foot 185 and 40.

I am considering CRF250R, CRF450R, and CRF450X. Im not really considering the smokers at this time.

What do yall recommend?

TIA

If you were only going to do trails, then the X model, but sooner or later you're going to want to moto, so it's gotta be the CRF450R.

Forget the 250. I'm similar weight and with gear added (20 lbs) that's starting to push the envelope on what the 250 should be hauling around. I like the CRF250, great bike, great handing and suspension, but it gives up too much at the starts when you're racing an age class. Ask me how I know this . . .

I have an R and ride 95% trails. I bought the R because I wanted that 'jet strapped to two wheels' feel that the R provides and I didn't want the goofy looking headlight (no offense my X bretheren). The X is a more tame bike than the R, yet it has a lot of power too. In my opinion, you would probably enjoy an X more. With the wide ratio transmission the power is just smoother and more spread out. Good luck to you.

had a r in the woods since late 01 they make great all around bikes. however if your not going to the track consider the x. i love the r but it is the small stuff that makes your forearms look like Popeyes' (tree roots and sharp edges) or you could always revalve the suspension for the trails. good luck it is a hard choice so get them both

I concur. I'm a mostly trail guy but bought the 450R because I wanted all the power Honda had to offer. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the X for the wide-ratio tranny and the E-start. I've geared mine down and still am not happy. Flywheel weight is next for my R.