Sign in to follow this  

My green tractor

I have read a lot on gearing and from what I have tried if I was riding mostly off road I would run 14 / 48. I am running 13 / 45 (same ratio as 14 / 48) and I reckon its just about perfect. A mate of mine cannot believe how slow I can go up hills, he blasts his TTR250 up them bouncing off rocks and gullies so he doesn't stall, whereas I just putter along on my green tractor at low revs and low speeds. As long as I can get traction I don't have any problems.

My other reasons for going 14 / 48 is you don't have to change 2 sprockets. Save a little money and the front sprocket is a bear to remove.

Cheers

Garry

Garry, the KLX/KLR sub-forum covers a multitude of motorcycles; which particular model are you discussing? "green tractor" doesn't pin down the model designation hereabouts; maybe in Australia.

The front sprocket of a KLR250's easy to remove and to replace, in my experience; just wondering which model you're referring to . . .

:applause: 14/48 on a 250??? We were running 13/50's on our 300/331's and still found the gearing a bit high at times. We were doing very tight and very technical trails though. I have a hard time imagining a KLX250 being any fun at all off road with stock gearing.

:applause: 14/48 on a 250??? We were running 13/50's on our 300/331's and still found the gearing a bit high at times. We were doing very tight and very technical trails though. I have a hard time imagining a KLX250 being any fun at all off road with stock gearing.

You would surely hate the stock gearing on a KTM 450 EXC then. It's 1st gear is more like the KLX250's 2nd or 3rd. It has entirely different internal tranny ratios of course, but it comes stock with 15:45 and to get it even in the same ballpark as the KLX's 14:42 stock first gear speed took 13:52. And even then I think 1st on the KTM is still a bit higher than that of the KLX. That gearing might be good for Baja but not for NC singletrack. :lol:

• Like 1

Well 1 climb I went up there was a rock which lifted the front wheel up so I backed off, the engine went back to idle, I opened the throttle and totally to my suprise it pulled away instead of stalling. My engine and carbie are totally stock. You know I was going to get a pumper carb but for what I do with the bike I'm happy with the stocker.

You would surely hate the stock gearing on a KTM 450 EXC then.
With nearly twice the displacement, nobrakes, the 450EXC might be more forgiving with a higher drive ratio than a KLX250, given the additional torque available at low rpm, seems to me . . .

With nearly twice the displacement, nobrakes, the 450EXC might be more forgiving with a higher drive ratio than a KLX250, given the additional torque available at low rpm, seems to me . . .

There's no doubt. With my buddy's 525, I can pretty much ride it all day long like an auto transmission bike in 3rd. It will accelerate like a mother from just barely above idle/stall all the way up and over 50mph. If I need to go faster, I might have to shift. ;-)

There's no doubt. With my buddy's 525, I can pretty much ride it all day long like an auto transmission bike in 3rd. It will accelerate like a mother from just barely above idle/stall all the way up and over 50mph. If I need to go faster, I might have to shift. ;-)

Torque's not the problem, it's the really tight sections where I need to go slow in order to keep stay in control and not work the clutch to death. I do value my remaining collar bone so staying in control is good. :applause:

Are you sure you buddy hasn't changed the final drive? 15:45 is awefully high, most of the folks in the KTM section run 14:50 at least. I would be running 14:52 but I got some mis-information that said the stock chain would reach around that gearing, but alas that was wrong. I had a 13t front to try and that fit, just barely so I'm running 13:52 which is acceptable for now.

Or maybe I just need to man up and ride faster. :lol:

I don't know what his gearing is. I don't think he changed it, but maybe someone did before he bought it. The point is, with enough torque and a big enough engine like the 525, you can pretty much ride in one gear all day long. As a matter of fact, more than once as I was riding in 3rd, I pulled in the clutch and stopped, talked and got directions and started off again - in 3rd. By mistake. But the bike pulled it with a little clutching. I swear I could ride that bike all day long in 3rd without shifting if I had to. I'm not talking about super technical stuff though.

Well I went for a ride today with another KLX250, a XR400, a KTM250F, a DR650 and a TTR250 in the mud. There was 1 hill which all the other bikes were spinning, got sideways and were all over the place (3 of them had to have a 2nd go) and my little green tractor just putted up without effort. I got to the top and asked what all the fuss was about. I know the pic is crap but you can see the mud on my bike.

100_0082.jpg

They really are good torquey bikes. One of my riding mates has a CRF230 & suffers often on climbs as you could imagine.

He is continuously joking about getting John Deere stickers & putting on my bike, he often follows that up with questions like "did you have it in super low range g/box for that climb?"

All part of the fun.

Linesy.

Yeah the guy on the TTR250 (Mick) said to the other guys you watch Garry will just putt up the hill slow and steady. I love the grunt of this bike esp with the lower gearing.

You would surely hate the stock gearing on a KTM 450 EXC then. It's 1st gear is more like the KLX250's 2nd or 3rd. It has entirely different internal tranny ratios of course, but it comes stock with 15:45 and to get it even in the same ballpark as the KLX's 14:42 stock first gear speed took 13:52. And even then I think 1st on the KTM is still a bit higher than that of the KLX. That gearing might be good for Baja but not for NC singletrack. :bonk:

Well you have to understand nobrakes. the klx's both 300/250 are the same eingine so they like to chug around. with the ktm's that is not there logic if you want one you better know how to ride because they like to ridden fast. they are based of of track bikes so.

Well you have to understand nobrakes. the klx's both 300/250 are the same eingine so they like to chug around. with the ktm's that is not there logic if you want one you better know how to ride because they like to ridden fast. they are based of of track bikes so.

Yeah, I have one. The EXC is more set up for woods than track. I don't claim to be good enough to take full advantage of any modern racer, but I know what I like and what I like using it for. After a few shake-down rides on the KTM, I'm now running 14:49 which I find to be the sweet spot and is pretty typical of most folks in the KTM section. The low gear is low enough as the high torque can lug along easily even though it is a lot higher than 1st on the KLX, and 6th gear can easily cruise at 60+ MPH at very low RPMs, around 5000 RPM or so I'd guess. By my guestimating that would place 6th gear on the KTM somewhere around if the stock KLX250S 14:42 gearing had a 7th gear to shift into. This is perfect for me as I was ALWAYS wishing for a 7th gear on my KLX250S. :bonk: