Sign in to follow this  

Toyota 4Runner or similiar SUV

I get my license in 24 days :applause: and am supposed to get my sisters 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but my mom doesn't trust it and we're thinking about replacing it. So I like the Toyota 4Runners but they do seem to be pretty overpriced.

So what year 4Runners should we look for and what years should we avoid? It would need to be 4WD and an Auto I dont want to learn/deal with a stick.

We're looking at spending around $6,000.

I've read that 4Runners are bad on gas and don't have much power... how bad is the mileage?

Any other SUV's to look for?

The only 4Runners I would avoid are ones with the 3.0L V6. That engine had issues with blowing headgaskets.

4Runners are expensive, but they are well worth the money. They hold their resale value so well for a very good reason.

The newer 4Runners arent that bad on fuel. They get 16-18 mpg highway.

I honestly wouldnt look at any other SUV. As far as midsize/compact SUVs go, the 4Runner is where its at.

Ive owned 2 of them: an '85 and a '91 (Ive also driven every newer generation of the 4Runner that has come out) and if I were in the market for a SUV I would look no furthur than a 4Runner (or maybe a Toyota RAV4 if you didnt need towing capability and didnt need much room).

Ive driven Explorers, Blazers, Grand Cherokees and Durangos and the 4Runner whoops 'em all!

Thanks for the info... So you said the newer ones aren't too bad on gas? How new are we talking? 16-18 mpg kinda sucks.. our Yukon XL gets that. The Jeep is a gas hog too though so it doesnt really matter

By newer I mean any 4Runner with a 3.4L or 4.0L V6. You are looking at '94 or newer.

If you pop the hood and it says "3400 quad cam" on the intake you are good to go.

About the MPG, you dont really get much better fuel economy with a compact/midsize SUV than you do with a fullsize.

I get my license in 24 days :applause: and am supposed to get my sisters 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but my mom doesn't trust it and we're thinking about replacing it. So I like the Toyota 4Runners but they do seem to be pretty overpriced.

So what year 4Runners should we look for and what years should we avoid? It would need to be 4WD and an Auto I dont want to learn/deal with a stick.

We're looking at spending around $6,000.

I've read that 4Runners are bad on gas and don't have much power... how bad is the mileage?

Any other SUV's to look for?

Is there any reason why you are only looking at SUV's???

You have to ask yourself-do you really need the seating capacity, 4x4, and cargo space?

I'd look at some other options, there are always deals to be had on vehicles, don't buy with your heart, buy with your head. (don't fall in love with a particular make, model, or type of vehicle)

What about a good PU truck?

Not allowed to get a truck.

I dont have my heart set on a 4Runner.

Yes I do need the seating capacity, yes I do need 4x4 because we got stuck a couple times in my sisters Jeep when the 4x4 was broken.

I live in the 18th most dangerous city to drive in so a larger vehicle is a plus.

I've also looked at the Honda Passports but I dont like them as much.

I dont have my heart set on a 4Runner.

Yes I do need the seating capacity, yes I do need 4x4 because we got stuck a couple times in my sisters Jeep when the 4x4 was broken.

I live in the 18th most dangerous city to drive in so a larger vehicle is a plus.

I've also looked at the Honda Passports but I dont like them as much.

Have you looked at Saturn Vue AWD's at all? My parents love theirs-25 mpg (they are old, and drive as such), V6 motor made by Honda, AWD, seats 5 comfortably, cargo storage, and will tow a small trailer easily.

Why would GM owned Saturn have a Honda engine?

Vues are probably out of my price range.

That made me wonder, too, but the engine says "HONDA" right on it.:applause:

Look around, used ones are pretty reasonable, since the new prices aren't ridiculous-my folks paid $25k OTD for a brand new 2004 V6, AWD, loaded-these lower prices new will mean lower prices used, too.

Problem is they havent been making them that long. My friends dad has one and personally I dont like it, but it is the base model (which is wht I would get) I saw one 2WD with a 4 cyl for $6,800 and thts the closest in my range I saw.

4runners are expensive because they hold thier value.

I'd say it's a good choice. When you look to sell it later on down the line, you won't lose as much as you think you would.

Same reason the GM owned pontiac Vibe has a toyota engine. Theres all kinds of partnerships for various cars/technologys between all the automakers.

Its not a Toyota engine, its a complete Toyota car, (See Matrix) just a little facelift, ie grille and rear 1/4 glass. Kinda like the old Nova from 86-88 was a Corolla or the Geo Prism was a Corolla...

Its not like they built t he car and tossed in a Toyota engine. I think they wer emade in NUMMI (Freemont Cally)

Good choice on the 4Runner if you make it. Just like the Tacoma I own with the 3.4 but no box for hauling. The 95.5,96 and 97 in the Tacomas had growing pains with the head gaskets so go newer 98 and up if it makes you feel better.

Its not a Toyota engine, its a complete Toyota car, (See Matrix) just a little facelift, ie grille and rear 1/4 glass. Kinda like the old Nova from 86-88 was a Corolla or the Geo Prism was a Corolla...

Its not like they built t he car and tossed in a Toyota engine. I think they wer emade in NUMMI (Freemont Cally)

many of the parts on that car are made at GM part plants around the country.... the interior is made in st louis I know. Toyota assembles both cars, but GM builds many of the parts for both cars.

If you ride Dirt Bike, why not get a Tacoma?

Toy's have the best engine and will run 4Ever(except the 3.0L V6 as someone have mantioned before) My unce had a 4Runner with that engine, it blew a head gasket and it costs around 2k to fix it:eek: )

My truck is A W E S O M E!!! 3.4L V6 has a lot of power, decent gas milage(depends on how you drive, i seem to get about 15 mpg becasuse iam a pretty "aggressive" driver) If you take it easy than you'll be fine at 20mpg,

it look very nice and you can fit 3 bikes in the back.

If i were you i would get a TRUCK!!!

Unfortunatly Tacos don't have much of a back seat either. You also have to go pretty old to get one for under $6,000, I appreciate the thought though.