Sign in to follow this  

trials tire

been running a dunlop 803 rear trials tire with a michelin s12 front ,on a ktm exc 200 . this has been a really good combination . it is now time to replace the front ,so was thinking of going with a trials tire on the front as well . i ride mostly belfair, taneum, rieter, capitol etc . anybody had this combo and tried it ? any feedback ? thanks Dave ps great turnout at the rally

Many have said that the new softer sidewall trials tires do not work up front, in that they are too soft for any kind of cornering at speed. I have not talked to anyone who has put one on the front except for trials riders, so I am without actual experience. However, much of what I have read has stated this.

i would stick with a dunlop maybe a 745f, in the front. I like those, and am definately going to get more. They work great at Tahuya and Walker.

been running a dunlop 803 rear trials tire with a michelin s12 front ,on a ktm exc 200 . this has been a really good combination . it is now time to replace the front ,so was thinking of going with a trials tire on the front as well . i ride mostly belfair, taneum, rieter, capitol etc . anybody had this combo and tried it ? any feedback ? thanks Dave ps great turnout at the rally

I rode with a dude up at walker and he had trials tires front and back on his 300exc. He says it works great up there, Not sure about the higher speed areas.

I run a IRC on the back of my WR and it works great.

Its coming off for the desert 100 though.

Back to 756s front and back.

I ran a trials tire front and back for a couple years. It worked really well but in the desert I had too many front flats so I went back to knobby up front. In the woods they work really well in my opinion. I always ran at least 13lbs in the rear and 14lbs up front. I might try the Dunlop trials tire up front since they have a little stiffer side wall. IRC and Michelin front trials just can't handle high speed desert rocks.

Hmmm, I ride a 300exc with D803 front and back. I've reached a point in life where have a lot more money than time and I buy what ever tire I want. I like things that are a little different just to keep it interesting.

I have not run the front tire enough to give a 100% recommendation but so far with a couple of good rides at Walker and Green Mountain in nice winter conditions, I like it a lot. One unexpected benefit is that it really blunts the small trail junk. It made about the same difference in plushness as my KTMLew valve stack.

Swapping bikes with my buddy who is running an 803 rear with a knob on front, I think the trials front hangs about the same in mud but slightly better on roots and rocks.

I think I'll be keeping the trials front. It has had no downside for me yet.

I'm not a very fast rider so my results may not match a real racer. I'm not pitching the bike into corners at race speed or anything - for sure I'm not newbie slow, but not race speed.

I run a heavy duty tube and 10.5 psi. No flats front or rear so far. A lighter rider might want to run less pressure. The thing that makes trials tires work is the large contact patch the soft carcass presents to the ground.

Dunlop trials tires are pretty cheap too. I say give it a try.

(Oh wait, there is one downside to the trials front tire. It makes your bike look like a moped. Very sissy looking tires.)