Sign in to follow this  

525 XC 6 speed?

Any one have one or have had one, Ive been lusting over one for quite some time now, a local shop here in town has one, I hear it just walks away from the 450's. I do fast single track trail riding and wonder if its worth all the hype, it doesnt seem to weigh much either considering the klr250 dry weight is 264 lbs and the 525 is 250 lbs. I had an 05 yz450 and liked it but didnt like the 4 speed, love 6 speeds for trails. Any feed back on quality and reliability would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:applause:

Any one have one or have had one, Ive been lusting over one for quite some time now, a local shop here in town has one, I hear it just walks away from the 450's. I do fast single track trail riding and wonder if its worth all the hype, it doesnt seem to weigh much either considering the klr250 dry weight is 264 lbs and the 525 is 250 lbs. I had an 05 yz450 and liked it but didnt like the 4 speed, love 6 speeds for trails. Any feed back on quality and reliability would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:applause:

Reliability will be premo, the 6 speed in this model is close ratio, kinda like you blue bike was with two more. The XC-W has wider gaps between gears so low is lower, 6th is higher.

The one ive been looking at is the dual sport, so im pretty sure it will be wide ratio, but I would just change the sprocket ratios for fast trails ridin, don't really have any long back country roads or any thing just more technical stuff so I think the xc semi close ratio would be perfect. I did read that the 525 heats up and could use a cooling fan system so that will be my first addition. Almost have the miss's talked into lettin me get one.

Reliability will be premo, the 6 speed in this model is close ratio, kinda like you blue bike was with two more. The XC-W has wider gaps between gears so low is lower, 6th is higher.

i have an 06' 525 and i love the thing to death. I had kx 500's for years and i finally upgraded to a ktm and the 525 has the most power imaginable, the 6 speed tranny helps out a lot on the open trails wen you feel like running loose. the bike even handles great in nice single track and especially climbing hills. it will go up anything imaginable. the most powerful bike i have ever rode. and the cool thing is. its the most powerful bike ive ever rode...stock...no modifications necessary. even though they are always a plus. they are not a necessity

i have an 06' 525 and i love the thing to death. I had kx 500's for years and i finally upgraded to a ktm and the 525 has the most power imaginable, the 6 speed tranny helps out a lot on the open trails wen you feel like running loose. the bike even handles great in nice single track and especially climbing hills. it will go up anything imaginable. the most powerful bike i have ever rode. and the cool thing is. its the most powerful bike ive ever rode...stock...no modifications necessary. even though they are always a plus. they are not a necessity

Thats kinda the way I was imagining it being, Im a power junkie, love the pumping adrenal glands from speed, best feeling on earth, all I plan on doing when I get mine is slip on pipe and skid w/ hand guards, I cant wait to get one, Gotta sell one of my bikes first before my gal will let me get it,:applause:

Thats kinda the way I was imagining it being, Im a power junkie, love the pumping adrenal glands from speed, best feeling on earth, all I plan on doing when I get mine is slip on pipe and skid w/ hand guards, I cant wait to get one, Gotta sell one of my bikes first before my gal will let me get it,:applause:

Why do you need a pipe? XC has a off road racing pipe fitted

BIGFAST...how fast are you expeting to go on single track?!? A 525 is certainly not the best choice of weapons if that's th type of riding you prefer to do.

I agree, bike's a bullet out-of-the-box no mods required and saves money from that angle in the end, but having ridin WR450 before I would argue there are better choices for Single Track. 525 xc has been designed with a primary use, hauling _SS, yes it has the SX suspension, but even for short course ther are better choices. That said - you buy it, you'll seek the right places to ride it..

bought an 07 525 XC-W in october gotta say I love it. But to say its a handful in the woods is an understatement. I think if I had it to do over I would have went with the 400 or even the 300 smoker. My cousin bought the200 and while I can go by and blow his decals off he's not nearly as worn out after a couple hours in the woods. As someone else said these are really designed for very open country. If you do end up with the 525 heres a tip-Engine Ice coolant!!! This thing will start squirting coolant if you look at it the wrong way. There again I dont believe they were designed for technical trails. Or-- maybe I,m just scared of launching myself off a mountain:cripple:

I own the 450xc and race desert on it, I can tell you that I can beat 525's on the bomb consistently. I have ridden 525's and they wont walk away from 450's i.e., yz450, crf450 etc. but they will pull away after those bikes run out of gearing. But most desert guys gear tall so it's no walk in park. Go to a national hare & hound and watch Abbott and Pearson smoke everybody on their moto bikes, or Childress and Norman on crf450x's. That being said, they are nice bikes, but even though they weigh about the same as their 450 sibling, they do feel heavier, do to the gyro effect of the crank.

As far as hillclimbing goes, I had a 04 yz450 with tall gearing and it climbed much better, and the 06's are better still. The KTM does not have the overrev like the moto bikes. For fast single tract buy the 450xc, it has the short stroke motor, it's snappier and feels lighter. I installed the HTracing header and power vane and the thing rips.

Don't misunderstand me, I like KTM's, but I'd like to end the myth about 525's being the monster bike with gobbs of power. Their really gentle bikes with a smooth linear power. Your 05 yz450 was way more of a monster. You will be going down in power to weight ratio with the 525.

BIGFAST...how fast are you expeting to go on single track?!? A 525 is certainly not the best choice of weapons if that's th type of riding you prefer to do.

My little KTM will disappear in the woods. And 20lbs lighter. Deep sand a 7,000 feet, well thats another story.