Sign in to follow this  

Clutch basket play?

Well, with the help of Still Kicken, I replaced my clutch yesterday. We noticed that the basket had a little bit of play in it. It tightened up after we got it all put back together, but still had a very slight bit of movement.

Is this normal or is there a bearing or something that is behind the basket that needs replaced?

You know PHI, I think you should throw that bike in Jerry's truck and bring it to Cali. when he comes out in 3 weeks :applause:

We were talking about that yesterday. :lol: If I wasn't going to NY the first week of April, I would probably be able to. Sounds like a fun trip.

Maybe you can drive to Ohio later in the year:ride:

We were talking about that yesterday. :applause: If I wasn't going to NY the first week of April, I would probably be able to. Sounds like a fun trip.

Maybe you can drive to Ohio later in the year:ride:

Maybe, I know I'm coming out there next year for Hatfield-McCoy :lol:

• Like 1

Maybe, I know I'm coming out there next year for Hatfield-McCoy :applause:

Sweet. We were talking about HM too. I may go with SK and the gang in June.

Anyone?

Outer basket had some up and down slop after the inner basket was bolted up. Seemed like a bushing was bad or a bearing. Didn't have a service manual. I think the outer basket rides on needle bearings, but I can't remember for sure. Been a long time since I've done a clutch. The splines on shaft looked good. :applause:

• Like 2

Give me the make model and year. I might be able to help ya'll out.

02 CRF 450

SK, I did a search and many have stated they have seen some play. I just wonder how much would be OK. The clutch seemed to work fine up and down the street.

The outer basket rides on needle bearings and guide. The shaft rides on a ball bearing.

Typical Honda manual doesn't say anything about how much jiggling slop is allowed. A Clymers is usually more detailed with that kind of info... and I don't have that one. Considering it's an 02 model and this is 07 I'd go ahead and purchase the bearings needed for a complete lower end rebuild and shelve them for your next winter's project.

Some things to check over.

1. Is the slop found in the shaft or in the basket. That will let you know which bearings to replace. Side note: If it's just little wiggle as in "fine as frog hair" wiggle then I'd say it's okay until next winter.

2. The manual gives a torque rating of 59 ft/lbs on the center nut that holds the whole assembly on the shaft. Torque to that spec and check for the jiggle and wiggle again.

• Like 1

The outer basket rides on needle bearings and guide. The shaft rides on a ball bearing.

Typical Honda manual doesn't say anything about how much jiggling slop is allowed. A Clymers is usually more detailed with that kind of info... and I don't have that one. Considering it's an 02 model and this is 07 I'd go ahead and purchase the bearings needed for a complete lower end rebuild and shelve them for your next winter's project.

Some things to check over.

1. Is the slop found in the shaft or in the basket. That will let you know which bearings to replace. Side note: If it's just little wiggle as in "fine as frog hair" wiggle then I'd say it's okay until next winter.

2. The manual gives a torque rating of 59 ft/lbs on the center nut that holds the whole assembly on the shaft. Torque to that spec and check for the jiggle and wiggle again.

The wiggle jiggle was to much IMO. I didn't break out the Dial Indicator (Should have), but my guess is, it's greater than .060" more like .100"+ The play wasn't from the shaft, so I think it would be a semi quick fix to replace the bearing the basket rides on. Bearing should be relatively cheap too. Just hate to see new plates wear prematurely due to this senario.

I spoke with S_K on the phone last night, after hearing the detailed description my advice would be the replacement of the basket and the needle bearing in addition to the new clutch kit. From the description of the wear on the fingers of the clutch basket, there is no real way around replacing it. Otherwise, you're gonna be back into the clutch in short order, doing all this again. Possibly after dragging the bike for miles out of the middle of nowhere. While you have it in the garage and are already into it, do it all now and be done with it. :applause:

hi guys

Have a crf 450 03 in at the moment getting fixed, it also has a woblly outer clutch basket. Have seen this before and it can cause a bit of nisey engine as well. This one is loose in the bearings, the colar that rides on the bearings is loose also between it and the actual basket, which is causing alot of play and a rattly noise.

My advice is to change all that you see play in. if you have the inner hub out you will be able to see where its coming from.

Has anyone else seen this ?

Have they noticed it causes a rattly noise on that side of the engine?