Sign in to follow this  

Help - I have a starting/idling issue!!!

Hi guys.

I took my bike out for a ride today - 2001 E model.

Filled up on petrol and rode 5 miles on the road (it ran fine)to the first lane.

Got half way down the lane and it started misfiring.

Got out of the lane and it was so far down on power that it stalled a few times.

Rode another 1 mile to the next lane and it was running like a pig.

Tried to start it but it wouldn't idle. After this I took out the air filter and what looked like white smoke came out???????

Had to push it home 4 miles!

Bike currently turns over but won't idle and stalls after 1 second or on use of the throttle

Here's my trouble shooting so far:

Spark is ok.

Petrol is ok, filled the car from same place and no issues.

Air box is clean and air filter is oiled but was a little gunk in the catcher on the bottom.

Ran some carb cleaner through the carb with a little petrol (I put 2 litres of petrol back in the tank with come Redex and kept the starter button down a while) and now it will tick over for about 3 or 4 seconds MAX and then stall.

I think it's a petrol problem cause the engine is turning over (hopefully not an engine failure occuring). Currently the only option I can think of is to get the bike checked out by a local mechanic because although I managed to get the carb off this evening it was a struggle and I'm no real mechanic past checking valve clearances and changing brake pads (and carbs scare me!!!). I started taking all the pipes off and then when I checked my manual to strip it down I got nervouse and put it back.

The last ride I did there were a few deep wet ruts which came up to the top of the tyres but I don't think I stalled in them.

Is there an easy way to clean the carb or am I missing something else that may be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

just for humor sake, pull the plug boot, make sure you don't have any water down the plug hole. Also check to see what the plug looks like.

If you have a compression gauge, I'd check the compression while you're there.

If all that checks out.....you didn't put diesel in it did you? Drain the float bowl into a glass and see if there's any water in it.

Eventually, you either find another problem, or you pull the carb and go through it.

Thanks mate:

Plug checked - was a little oily but swapped it for a brand new one and same problem.

No compression guage so can't check this.

Didn't put in diesel - definately petrol and the bike rode for 5 miles before having any problems.

Is there an easy way to drain the float bowl? Does the carb have to come off? Any tips or walkthroughs on doing this cause I checked but couldn't find any that didn't require removing and stripping the carb.

There is a screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Loosen it a fuew turns, with ajar under the appropriate drain hose. Watter if in there, will end in the bottom of the jar.

There is a screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Loosen it a fuew turns, with ajar under the appropriate drain hose. Watter if in there, will end in the bottom of the jar.

Is that the one with the little black plastic turn head? How many turns do I have to take it and which is the appropriate drain hose?

Sorry for the numptie that I am but my other bike is fuel injected and I haven't played with carbs since 1997 when all I had to do was unclip the float bowl on my MZ125 and it would drop off the bottom of the carb - much easier but less effective when under water!!!

the bike rode for 5 miles before having any problems.

It takes a surprising distance before the the float bowl cycles enough gas. I have an external on-off fuel switch on my bike, and the couple times I accidently left it off and went for a ride, it would take more than a couple miles before I found out about it.

If there was water in the gas you pumped, it very well could take that long for it to show itself

No, that is the idle sopeed control. It is a philips head screw at the bottom of the carb. Use a good screw driver. When tightening it back up, tighten it gently, it needs to be just tight enough to stop the flow of fuel.

My Fault, didn't see the E bit :eek::naughty: Post deleted.

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol:

Here's is a picture of the E carb at the bottom:

DSC00423.jpg

The keihin website states that the bolt on the bottom is the drain bolt.

Do I remove this bolt or just undo it a few turns? Or do I just unclip the drain pipe on the bottom then loosen the bolt?

You can see the bolt on this diagram - it is unscrewed at the bottom of the float with a seal ring above it:

Ecarb.jpg

unfortunately, you have to undue it....not very easy to get to with the starter in the way

Ok, on your carb, you remove that large bolt/plug, catch the gas if you can. Make sure your petcock is off first. When the bolt/plug is out , look in the bottom for debris too.

Drain screw is on the other side.

You could also remove the big nut on the bottom of the carb, 17 mm I think.

If there is any dirt or water in the carb it would be visable in the fuel left inside that nut.

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol:

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Took the nut off this morning but couldn't see any debris in the bottom of the nut. Noticed yesterday that the fuel tap is faulty - rubber seal inside is worn and letting a little fuel through - could this cause any damage? Don't think this could be enough to prevent it from starting though so back at square 1.

I'll try starting the bike this evening (it was too early to start the DRZE this morning when I checked the drain plug) but I'm open to any ideas for the cause of the problem.

Thanks again