Sign in to follow this  

Won't hit limiter on hiway!

Does it seem right that my moded S won't pull to the limiter in 5th, WOT, tops out at 85?

Maybe a headwind.

500ft

CV carb.

3x3

Main jet-142.5

Hot cam stg. 1 int.

Stock exh. cam

E exhaust

14/47

Double check that your cams are line up correctly. They will actually run 1 tooth off in a DRZ and if they were retarded 1 tooth, they would not make peak power.

Double check that your cams are line up correctly. They will actually run 1 tooth off in a DRZ and if they were retarded 1 tooth, they would not make peak power.

We do not use the word 'Retarded' We call them "Timed Special"

So you think it definitely should be able to bounce off the limiter?

Does it seem right that my moded S won't pull to the limiter in 5th, WOT, tops out at 85?

Maybe a headwind.

500ft

CV carb.

3x3

Main jet-142.5

Hot cam stg. 1 int.

Stock exh. cam

E exhaust

14/47

On second look you're still using stock exhaust so maybe not depending rider weight and wind. Topend is the point of biggest gain with a free flowing pipe. To double check your jetting, take the airbox door off and try it again (this leans out the carb slightly)...Make note of where/when it runs differently and it will help diag where you're at with the tune. If it runs good/better then you were too rich, if it runs worse then you were right on or lean to start with) Another idea is that hitting the limiter will start at 9,500 with the S/SM CDI...Stock CDIs start dropping sparks 500 early so its a soft hit...I imagine that pulling out at topend the soft drops at 9,500 would stop you from going higher, and you might not feel a "hit" like in the lower gears where you have so much engine momentum that it slams right thru the soft section.

So you think it definitely should be able to bounce off the limiter?

Down a steep hill, with the wind behind you, maybe :lol:

Only thing I thought of, you maybe too rich on the main jet, try a 140 to go with the stock exhaust.

E exhaust is same jetting as stock, unless it is a UK spec E exhaust.

But on the other hand, for 14/47 gearing you may be on the limits anyway, never geared mine that low, so not sure :lol:

Neil. :applause::eek::naughty:

well my 2006 "s" pulled 107mph with stock gearing after i changed out the cv carb for a flat slide,piped it, high compression piston, hotcams stage 2, and k&n air filter. but i had the tuning way off at first and i only pulled about 85 so with my experience i would say that your tuning is WAAAAAAYYY OFF!

get it tuned right and it should be able to do 107mph when it hits the limiter

Math!:applause: Well, someone would have to walk me through that at least once.

But short of that, I know I'm not hitting the limiter(S=9,500) in 5th no matter the speed.

It seems silly to be wondering about this after 2+ yrs of ownership, but I rarely top it out on a smooth road, I'm ether in the city or out on some deer infested gravel roads.

I just got curious after installing the E exhaust so I hopped on the highway. I just wondered if it was out of the question that it couldn't do it.

I'm thinking that it could easily have been a headwind coupled with my large winter jacket.

Math!:naughty: Well, someone would have to walk me through that at least once.

Me too, so cheat :lol:

My S when standard hit the limiter at an indicated 84 mph in 4th, on 15/44.

Try yours, it should then pull an extra 10 to 15 mph in 5th, after that you run out of power.

Neil. :applause::lol::eek:

+1 on the jetting, try to go leaner, it seems to much main for a stock pipe. With that gearing I would think it would go awfully close to the limiter. My top end falls off if the main is too rich. Lean it out till it starts to surge at high RPM and go up one main jet size, then do the needle, that has worked for me in the past. Good Luck:ride: vanram

Thanks guys, I think I'll be spending some quality time with the main jet in the next few days. I'll let you know how it turns out!

My 2006 'S' with 14/44 gearing (one tooth lower than stock in front) hits the rev limiter at 77 mph indicated in 4th gear. Extending this by the DRZ transmisison ratios I should hit the limiter at 97 mph indicated in 5th gear. At those speeds air resistance is a major factor--it can account for 5 or 10 mph difference. But I have not yet had a strong enough tailwind (or downhill) to get over 93 mph indicated. Often my top speed is closer to 85-87 mph indicated.

So I, for one, have never hit the rev limiter in 5th either.

with 14/47 you should be hiting the limiter in 5th.either you wern't areodynamic enough or there's something way off.i can hit the limiter in 5th at 175km/h but if i don't tuck all i'll get is around 160km/h

Well, funny I should come home to find this thread back on top! Because I'm just back from a test run and now I'm all :applause::lol:

First of all, the original reason for this post is a dead issue now, the fact that it wouldn't hit the limiter in 5th is a secondary question.:lol:

Let me go back to the beginning.

CV

500ft

3x3

142.5 main

27pj

2-1/2 turns ps

62.5 starter j

135 paj

4th clip down

Sense I went with this setup I've always had a little flat spot in the acceleration about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, thats more pronounced in lower gears.

It got better(almost non-existent) after Eddie suggested I go back to the stock carb piston spring(he said the piston was opening too fast).

During the cold part of winter it was completely gone!

Now as things heat up again, it's coming back. It was 69deg today and it seemed worse than last summer! :eek:

So, of coarse I'm thinking RICH right. So I go for a test ride with the air box door off and what do you think happens, it runs WORSE, big wide flat spot!

Just because this seemed so counterintuitive, I went ahead and raised the clip to the 3rd groove and threw in a 140 main and, thats right you guessed it, it ran like ....... Surged all over. And it would only hit 77 in 5th WOT.

So,I don't get it, if it's lean at 69deg how could it run BETTER at 45,35,30,25?

Or, conversely, if it was running well when it was cold out why would it be to lean now?

Phew, I'm tired, I'll stop now and see what you guys have to say.

I'm definitely going to get my 142.5 main back in tomorrow. And I think I'll try the fourth clip with a half step washer!

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread so far, Joel H.

what kind off air filter.if its a k&n put the stock one back in.i not saying its a bad thing to have a k&n but i had simlier problems like you and when i changed back i had better luck

Twinair w/spraytack!
cool,thats what i'm running.maybe give it a good cleaning.have you tried going up to a 145mj