Sign in to follow this  

problems with my CR 125

I went out four days ago and my bike (97cr125) was running good. Then i went out friday and i tried to start my bike and it started once and then died after about 2 minutes. Started up again and ran for about 5 seconds then fouled the spark plug. This morning i put new gas in it. I could not get it to start, so we tried to roll it off. i tried that a few times with the choke on and off. But it still would not start. I just moved the clip up to the fourth position to try to lean it up a little. Any ideas on why it wont start. Gas ran at 32:1, NGK br8es spark plug, i just cleaned and oiled the air filter. I think a good first step is to lean out the pilot one size. Next would be to check the carbon build up in the top end. After that my next thought is to check the left side crank seal. Thanks in advance for any solutions and help.

The day I went out and it ran for two minutes but then died. It is actually clean and well-oiled at the moment because I haven't been able to start it. I am leaning toward a new top end because I can't seem to get it to start no matter what I do. I also am going to try to lean out the pilot one size before I go to the top end method because I want to try the cheap fixes first.

If it has good compression, then your top end should be fine. Check for stuff like carburetor adjustments, make sure the carb and jets are clean, and make sure it has a spark. If that all fails, then pull the cylinder and check the piston and ring. Hope you figure it out.

So you cleaned it and oiled it and afte that it only ran for two minutes and has run right since? Take the airfilter off and try to start it. Too much oil on the flter makes it act like a choke and drastically reduces air flow.

I think I am going to get a compression tester and check the compression before I order the top end. I may be able to borrow my neighbors to check it so I don;t have to buy one. I have a clean air filter at home right now that just needs to be oiled.My air filter right now has little blue dots all over it from the oil. It looks to be well oiled but not over oiled. I will try that before I spend the money on the top end. Would an over oiled air filter keep the bike from starting? Don't seem like it would but IDK. Thanks.

Too much oil on the flter makes it act like a choke and drastically reduces air flow.

i believe so, he said so