Sign in to follow this  

Battery DEAD!

Hey my battery has no more juice left. What is the best option ? Recharge or NEW? What chargers do you use?

Thanks Mikey

William1 - I have seen you post 13.5 volts no load before but most batteries will not do it. Suzuki says 12.8 but that is too low. I just look for 13.0 or more. If it holds 13.1 or 13.2 that's great. 13.5 is setting the standard pretty high especially for an old battery.

As to the original question, yea charge the battery and see what you have. I don't have any special recommendations for a charger. Most will work. I do recommend you buy a digital volt meter to test the battery and other electrical items.

I went down to napa today and bought a battery charger. I got a 12volt @ 1amp. Will my battery charge or should I bring it back and get another one? Thanks

that will work but I think the rate of charge maybe high look on the sideof the battery it may state 800mA charge rate or similar.

FYI I just picked up a schumaker (SP) from walmart, $18 with a float and the permanent connections for a battery so you can just plug it in like the battery tender

the float is nice because it wont over charge your battery but will maintain it when not in use

this particular model also has a 6v switch (anyone with an old tractor will appreciate that feature)

Will my battery charge or should I bring it back and get another one? Thanks

There is only one way to find out... charge it and see.

If you store your bike in freezing tempatures and its been dead all winter, the progrnosis is really bad... since batteries will freeze when discharged.

that will work but I think the rate of charge maybe high look on the sideof the battery it may state 800mA charge rate or similar.

The manual says 700ma (slow charge 5 to 10 hours), but if I remember correctly the stock battery says on it that you can go up to 2 amps.

Check what's written on your battery.

be careful with that schumacker charger , i have one and for some reason it continuosly charges my battery and will not change to float even though the battery reads 13.48 volts . i just happened to notice the battery was extremely warm one day and upon random testing the orange charge light seems to always stay on . i dunno maybe its the battery , the charger seems to work fine when charging my atv battery any ideas why this might happen with one battery and not another :applause:

I would guess the one that wont stop charging has a bad cell or is old.

I would assume they reach a max voltge of around 13.6 or so and stop charging then float until the batt voltage is ~12.6 or so...I have one old battery that didnt seem to stop charging but when I check it after a day or so its 12.5v +- my other batts stay at 12.7 or better