Sign in to follow this  

Buell (Harly Davidson) plans to introduce off-road race bikes.

I can't imagine how H-D dealers would support dirt bikes when little to none of them ride dirt bikes now. I know it's Buell, but there are hardley any free standing Buell dealers.

The only support my Yamaha dealership ever supplied to my WR426 was original assembly, and to sell me oil and filters.

For that matter, the same rings true of my Buell/Buell dealer!

If you build it, they will come.

If they build a competitive bike, at a decent cost. I would love to buy a bike made in the U.S.

It wouldnt the first time Harley raced in MX. Ive gotta ask, whos gonna be making their engines for them? I cant see an air-cooled pushrod 450 being very competitive. You can bet they will be overweight and underpowered. Typical Harley. :applause::lol:

The reports are that the engines will be sourced from Rotax.

Which reports are those?

check the link at the top.

Octane: repeating what you said, just on a different website? :lol: youve got to get the word out somehow, right :applause: ?

The reports are that the engines will be sourced from Rotax.

Really? now that'd be interesting. it would make sense. since rotax's parent company is bombardier/can-am and rumor has been that they've been working on a 450 mx quad. the same motor could be sourced to a bike. rotax makes some awesome motors. they're the other austrian horsepower factory.

Interesting..... i wonder what it will look like? how it will preform? could this be the first MX bike made in the USA since ATK? will they see more success than ATK??

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4458&Page=1

Also ,hopefully better than the Cannondale ... Rotax is OK but if they went with a aprilia power plant they could have kept the "v" thing going...just like porsche and the V-rod.

Also ,hopefully better than the Cannondale ... Rotax is OK but if they went with a aprilia power plant they could have kept the "v" thing going...just like porsche and the V-rod.

umm, guess who builds Aprilia's motors for them... Well, I'm not sure about all of them, but the RSV 1000cc v-twin and 650 single are built for Aprilia by you know who.

Hardly-Ableson building a mx'er? Interesting...it will probably be like the "all new" v-tard, whick looks much like a Warrior, and be a sad attempt (yet valliant) They need to stick with what they know - heavy overpriced motorcycles.

As for the Buell supermotard..they may be on to something if thay can enable it to compete with such beauties as the Multistrata, Triumphs Tiger, or KTMs Superduke.

If, and only if, they can accomplish that, they may be able to make a small conversion into mx. But the reality is that the Big 5 have the market cornered.

I don't see Buell going after the MX market, more of the off-road market, be it enduros, harescrambles, or trail riders. If they do partner with Rotax for the motor as rumored, at least that will be a solid start. Eric is a creative guy and he could build a very good chassis, but he could also go over the top and create something that looks cool, but is totally worthless for serious off-road use.