Sign in to follow this  

front brake problem

well one day i crashed and my front brakes went spongy. i tried bleeding them when i got home and they seemed to feel a little better but within minutes they were back to being spongy. any suggestions on what could be wrong?

You might still have air in the line. Try taking the mastercylinder off the handlebars and hold them up as the highest point of the brake system. Then work the brake lever to get the air moving up to the master cylinder. Keep the master cylinder level so air doesn't get pushed back in the line when you work the lever. Make sure your fluid level is good before you do this, and keep an eye that it doesnt get too low. You don't have any leaks in the system?

Bleeding brakes and hydraulic clutches can be a tedious process. The absolute best and most effective method is the "back fill" technique. Go purchase a large syringe (minus the needle). You fill the syringe and attach to your bleed nipple (small length of hose between the two) and squeeze untill your master cyl is full. I usually drain the master before "back filling" to keep the mess to a minimum. I probably did not describe this procedure as well as I could but once you do it you will never go back to the old school way!

Mark

i found my problem. while i was ridin yesterday my brakes completely stopped working. so i checked my lines and the top banjo nut was loose. so i tightend it and filled my reservoir with fluid and proceeded to bleed my brakes. they work fine now. i guess i was slowly pumping air into my lines through that loosend banjo looking connector