Sign in to follow this  

crf 450x boiled over

brand new leftover 05 crf 450x . just got it, right off of the showroom floor. I installed an hour counter on it to keep track.

took it out for the first time today, what great power !

anyway, I found it keeps stalling even after it warmed up. made minor adjustment to the idle speed, corrected the stalling but now idles way to high. so I adjusted it again trying to get it right. :lol:

then at 2.2 hours I hopped off with it in neutral, threw the kickstand down and yes it was idling abit high, for no more than 2 minutes, then hopped on and rode approx 100 ft to my garage and it started boiling over! :applause:

now at this second it is still cooling down,

at the time it boiled over I didnt hear anything different in the engine.

I understand air needs to pass over the radiator, but man its only 50 degrees out hear today

anyone have this problem ? and whats up?

please be gental, so I dont start to cry! :lol:

Jetting? Also, put this in the 450x forum and you will have better replies.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_jdjetting_jetkit.htm

Sometimes new 450X's have a bit too much coolant put in when they are set-up so they might commonly boil over when new. They are also ridiculously lean jetted from the factory so use the link above and get it jetted right. Also, check out the info. in the sticky section on the 450X forum. Good info. for you there. Last but not least, GOOOOOD choice and ENJOY!

two minutes is sufficante time to over heat when the engine is allready at operating temps. and you just stop and let it idle.

thanks guys, I just read similar posts reguarding boilover issues.

funny that you have to rejet , the thing has 2 hours on it. whatever.

rejet and water wetter it is.

oh yeah , the 450x kicks ass!! :applause:

this was how I danced when I bought it :lol:

thanks guys, I just read similar posts reguarding boilover issues.

funny that you have to rejet , the thing has 2 hours on it. whatever.

rejet and water wetter it is.

oh yeah , the 450x kicks ass!! :applause:

this was how I danced when I bought it :lol:

Bro .... you need dancing lessons .... :lol:

I Had the exact same problem with my '06 left over. These bike do come with too much coolant stock and are usually jetted quite lean. Honda Canada told me that once at operating temperature, when at idle with no air through the rads, it'll boil over in a couple minutes, so when you let it idle for the couple minutes you did was enough to heat up that much. I brought my bike into the dealer and had it all checked over, no problems. These bikes a made to be started and warmed up, then straight to the line for a race, cant let big bores idle too long.

Onec you jet it correctly it should idle for as long as you need it to and not boil, mine does not.

a rejet will reduce operating temperature significantly, andother big drop will occur if you use engine ice coolant

Plain ol' honda coolant works better.

All engine ice does is allow for the temp to get higher before it boils.