Head bearing grease on front fender?

I have an 07 SM510 and noticed the other day there was a small drop of grease from the steering stem on the backside of the front fender. I went for a ride today and there is a another small drop or two on there. Is this just a sign of a bit too much grease in there or is this a sign of a bad seal?

Does your fuel tank vent run into your steering stem? Gas will run into slot for steering lock and wash grease off lower bearing.

Norman

No I have a short piece of hose with a one way valve I got from MotoXotica. I had a piece of hose fed in there for a few rides though?

Does your fuel tank vent run into your steering stem? Gas will run into slot for steering lock and wash grease off lower bearing.

Norman

Hummmmm....i wonder if we can use that for a simple way to grease the lower bearing w/o dismantle the front (w/o using gas of course....using that opening i mean) :applause:

I know what that is. I found out on a very hot day a few summers ago on my TE450. When the bike gets hot the radiators heat up the steer tube and boils the grease out. I talked with a guy with a XR600 with one of those oil coolers that wrap around the head tube and he had the same issue. I have since seen several bikes do this. If left unattended for a long period of time it will leave your lower bearing dry and ruin it. Been there did that. :applause:

Is there really a steering lock slot ? How about "inject" grease in it using a chain lube like Silkolene Titanium Chain Gel (or similar product ? Its sticky, o-ring compatible (so it shouldn't damage the bearings seals) and lubes very well...the spray can comes with a thin tube that could be used for "inject" it...

Just an idea...whats your opinion ?

Is there really a steering lock slot ? How about "inject" grease in it using a chain lube like Silkolene Titanium Chain Gel (or similar product ? Its sticky, o-ring compatible (so it shouldn't damage the bearings seals) and lubes very well...the spray can comes with a thin tube that could be used for "inject" it...

Just an idea...whats your opinion ?

Well, regarding the steering head slot - my mate had to renew his steering head bearings last week because the lower one was full of sand. He had the tank breather pipe in there but sand still found its way in , and into the steering lock slot and down to the bearing. I have a rubber plug in that hole, courtesy of list member GU520.

For excellent pictures see this link from a recent post by GU520 Click the link

Jerry

I know what that is. I found out on a very hot day a few summers ago on my TE450. When the bike gets hot the radiators heat up the steer tube and boils the grease out. I talked with a guy with a XR600 with one of those oil coolers that wrap around the head tube and he had the same issue. I have since seen several bikes do this. If left unattended for a long period of time it will leave your lower bearing dry and ruin it. Been there did that. :applause:

High temp, moly bearing grease will solve that problem. Used to happen on my XR250R, the XR dry sump uses the frame to hold most of the engine oil.

I haven't had the problem on the TE though, waterproof bearing grease has stayed put fine for me. I plugged both top and bottom of steering tube, and lightly greased under the lock cover (I don't use the lock) No dirt no water in a year.