Sign in to follow this  

Trail tech - Vapor

Has anyone tried / fitted the Trail tech Vapor?:applause:

I'm interested in this due to the hour meter, rev counter & engine temp features, as well as the usual speed & distance read-outs..

WR Geezer.

I have one!! They are kick ass!!! It is awesome, the hour meter is great for knowing when to change my oil, and the rev is nice, especially in the sand, and the speed is good for when I encounter a cop. The engine temp feature is my favorite that i use all the time!!! It is really accurate, and if you rest the total hours, it will give you temp readings below 100 degrees!!

Kyle

PM with any questions

Kyle,

I would like to know about the "shift lights" on the Vapor #1 ? The website listed that as a feature. The screen is grey with black characters so what does the light look like? Just a big flash of black ??? Works for me, but I'd like to know before I buy one this spring.

#2 When it back lights is it really bright and distracting and can you turn the backlight feature off if you don't need it at the time?

Thanks man!

Harry

if you go to the Trailtech website and click on instructions they have the user manuals for free download:thumbsup:

the shift lights lag a little behind the engine rpm. you will shift faster than you see the lights lighting up. the light is not too bright so it is not distracting. If you get one, PM me about the wiring when you set it up. there is a little trick to help get the spark plug wire installed right the first time.

I love mine. Use the Temp readout more than anything!

I don't use the shift lights even though I have them set up.

The lights are not bright enough and I can't be staring at the dash while running through the trees!!!

A real drag bike shift light is like a little spotlight shining in your face so you don't have to look down.

Over all it is one of the best ways to watch over your bike

TrailTechVaporMount1Large.jpg

Yeah I think I will like it. I definitely like the engine temperature monitoring aspect. Some places (trails) I ride can be very slippery and muddy and getting bogged down in a muddy spot I worry about over heating this engine since high speed usually is not available to blow cool breezes over the pretty white fins on the radiators.

Keep in mind I am no veteran "X" rider, I just graduated from a CRF230!

This sounds like one more piece of gear I need (want) though:thumbsup:

I love mine. Like many others, the engine temp is what I watch the most since my bike doesn't have a fan. At the moment I have the first temp warning light (amber) set for 210F, and the overheat light (red) set for 230F. In 70-80F weather it spends more time than I would like with the amber light on (trail riding). :eek: It takes over 15-20 mph to get enough breeze to cool things down. I've noticed that the Unibikers do make it run a little hotter at lower speeds. Summer will probably see temps over 210F constantly.

The shift lights share the same warning lights as the temp. And, the temp has priority over the shift. When riding I glance at the bargraph tach and the tach readout, but hadn't seen the shift indicator come on until today. So, it's not that noticeable unless you are consciously trying to shift by tach.

Great unit. :applause:

I just slid over to check out the 250 side. I love my trail tech. No problems, It gives you so much for price, you cant beat it.

My bike runs 240s to 260s in the slow tight trails. I don't know where it boils over yet. On the road it will run around 150. Yes, this is an awesome piece of equipment. I'll post some pics later.

Well, thanks for all your inputs.

I guess my mind is made-up.

It's vapor for me.

Cheers,

WR Geezer.

Some pictures of my Vapor mount.

I just converted my r to being street legal.

DSC04760.jpg

This is a picture of the highest speed rpm and temp for the day.

DSC04753.jpg

Some pictures of my Vapor mount.

I just converted my r to being street legal.

DSC04760.jpg

This is a picture of the highest speed rpm and temp for the day.

DSC04753.jpg

I think I want to go your route with mounting my vapor. Is your mount/protector a stock part from Trail Tech? Also, where did you ge the key switch and the bracket for the ignition switch?

Thanks,

Steve

sbabs, you better PM him. this thread is almost a year since the last post.

It's all good. I ordered the mount, the ignition key, and the key bracket today from the TT store. I think Melanie helped me, and she rocks. very helpfull and I'm looking forward to getting set up.

Does this just use the current/stock wheel hub to get speed/odometer? Or is the stock hub worthless with this unit?

Does this just use the current/stock wheel hub to get speed/odometer? Or is the stock hub worthless with this unit?

It does not use the stock odometer drive gear if that is what you are referring to, but it does not become worthless. You can cap your odo drive gear, or you can buy a custom spacer, or I think you can check at Rick Ramsey's site and see how he used the spacers from the brake side to make it work.

Just ordered one and the TR_560781 and TR_560783 Endurance Protector Top Mount for my new '05 CRF250X. I hope that's the right protector to get for this bike.

Can't wait to see this in action.

Looks like they changed my order from the TR_560783 to the TR_561349 VAPOR PROTECTOR TOP MOUNT. Doh 0_o