Sign in to follow this  

Help on picking GPS unit

Hey guys, I know there are a million threads covering this topic but most of them focus on units way out of my price range at the moment.

This is going to be my first GPS unit to carry with me while riding. I just started last year and I don't know the trails very well so the main function of my GPS would be to find the beginning of the trail or my truck. I assume this would be by placing a way point on my current position when I'm at these spots right?

Anyway, the 2 I'm trying to decide between are:

Garmin eTrex Legend

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7729773&st=Garmin+eTrex+Legend&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1140392383432

Magellan eXplorist 200

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6840243&st=magellan+200&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1093386298736

Bar mounting isn't really a necessity for me because at the moment I can't afford them (freakin' college). Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Get the one you like the best! When you get it turn it on and leave it on for about a week this will burn it in and will last for ever! As long as you don't run it over!

Get the one you like the best! When you get it turn it on and leave it on for about a week this will burn it in and will last for ever! As long as you don't run it over!

ummm....OK...:applause: Not too sure about what you would gain, other than running through your supply of batteries.

Anyway, I use the Garmin Explorist on my '01 XR400. I would suggest a unit with a PC interface, so you can up and dowload data to it.

I have made several purchases from The GPS Store, www.gpsstore.com.

They have nice handlebar mounts for most units.

Good luck and have fun.

either one is a good entry level GPS for riding (dirt not street) and hiking, camping, fishing ect.....

the only thing that would sway me to the garmin is that if you do many club/group rides the routes are typically .gpx (garmin) because they simply sell more units (not that they are better, that depends on the model and what you need it for). I that is a concern check what the clubs and groups in your area use. If not either is a good choice.

when you do start looking at bar mounts make sure to get an anti-vibration mount if you want the unit to last. www.cycoactive.com has great deals on combo packages. and if you are don't mind getting a gps that is a little older but very actuate and rugged check out the garmin GPSV cyco avtive is giving them away with some packages

I got the Garmin Foretrex 101 and I love it!! Works perfect for Finding waypoints... its super easy, really cheap, and works great. I just use the wrist strap and strap it to my bar pad, and I works perfect. I would highly recommend it. I got it on ebay for like 65 bucks shipped

Thanks for the heads up on that Foretrex boosted, I have a couple questions about it though:

Does it show streets? I don't really need them because that's not what I'm buying the GPS for, just curious.

How sturdy is it? Have you dropped it or slammed it any? It says it's waterproof but to what degree? Rain?

Does it track your path or whatever? I've read that some GPS systems like the legend I believe, will automatically set waypoints at certain intervals. Does the Foretrex have anything like that?

I have a Garmin Etrex VistaC (color model). I love it. It's great for everything from hiking to trail riding, to car navigation (although screen is a bit small for the car). The color screen helps to quickly recognize objects on the screen for quick glances, and it's pretty darned accurate. I red-necked a handlebar mount for my bike made out of plumber's tape (metal strips with holes in it), and it works pretty well. It's nice to know how fast you're going and where you've been. Depending on what mapset you buy (MapSource), it will show detailed streets, topo, pratically anything! My dad just got a Garmin for his boat that uses radar and sonar and XM weather updates!

Most newer Garmins will hook up to your computer (via USB), and you can upload detailed streets and topo maps (with additional MapSource maps purchased), and download waypoints/tracks from the GPS TO your computer for further analysis (total distance/elevation etc...). The street nav has never gotten me lost, you can even get BlueCharts for water nav too! You can search for the closest Taco Bell too... You can set it to track your movements, or turn that fuction off, which will save memory and battery life (slightly) although I just leave it on. You can search for addresses, waypoints, or just move the pointer over and area and tell it to take you there. The VistaC is real user friendly, 5 minutes after I turned mine on for the 1st time I was already navigating with it.

my two cents...

Burn it in?

It's a technical term for all electronics t.v.'s computers ect. For example if you buy a new t.v. and dont want to get the extended what if warranty. Just turn it on and leave it on for 3 or 4 days strait this gives each component a chance to (burn in) run at its normall temp 4 a few days. If a component is going to fail it will do so with in this period. I've had a couple t.v's go bad within 12 to 24 hours of being on ,Ps2 ,DVD player. this way I still have around 25 days to exchange! As far as ummm....OK...N6VMO most good GPS units like my Garmin Rino 130 have a 12 acc. plug