Sign in to follow this  

06 Rm-z450??

I am buying a new bike and i came across a great deal on a 06 RM-z450, I am planning on getting that or a CRF450, but i was wondering with the RM-z only being a four speed, how much different is the top speed on the RM-z then all the other 450's with 5 gears??

And also whats this i hear about bottom ends going in the 06, how many of you guys have had this problem!! I don't want to spend all this money on a bike and only a few months later redo the motor?Needs help guys!! Already had a YFZ450 quad and motor went 3 weeks from brand new with crank bearing giving out!! Don't want to go through this again!! Whats the deal on the 06 motor!

There is no "Deal". There are a couple of folks on this thread that have had problems. Some of them did not even know how many hours were on the bike or the maintenance regime???? Keep up on the maintenance and you should be fine. However with all race bikes the chance of catastrophic failure is a reality. You indicate you had an YZF450 motor grenade?? That is known as one of the most reliable motors around. It can happen to any of them. We have a 05’, 06’ & 07’ all of these bikes have preformed phenomenally.

its a good bike. if you can get a good deal and its in good shape, i'd go for it. its the best handling 450 out right now and although the top speed isnt as much as some of the other ones, i'm sure its still plenty fast for you.

Keep up on the maintenance and you should be fine. However with all race bikes the chance of catastrophic failure is a reality.

I diagree totally. I would rather buy a bike that has been seriously raced than a bike that was some squids weekend warrior toy. Most guy's that spend hundreds of dollars to go to each race don't want to have mechanical problems and DNF's. Maintanence is critical in a race enviroment. The more serious the racer, the better the maintanence.

To me, kids bikes that their parents bought for them (and the parents don't ride) are the biggest risk.

I got a 05 RMZ and i wasn't sure about the four speed either but its nice. When riding with the five speeds it is a little slower and you do have to rev it up a little higher but the four speed is killer. If you ride track you can just leave the bike in 3 and lug it through the corner and hit it and it will rip out of the corner. Or you can just leave it in 2 and same thing. I think the four speed is nice to have. And if you dont like it you can always change the gear ratio to fit your riding style. :applause:

I diagree totally. I would rather buy a bike that has been seriously raced than a bike that was some squids weekend warrior toy. Most guy's that spend hundreds of dollars to go to each race don't want to have mechanical problems and DNF's. Maintanence is critical in a race enviroment. The more serious the racer, the better the maintanence.

To me, kids bikes that their parents bought for them (and the parents don't ride) are the biggest risk.

You misunderstood what he was saying. He was talking about the fact that even brand new, these bikes can have problems as they are high strung. I don't believe he was referring to the fact that a bike that has been raced would possibly be more likely to explode than a weekend warrior's bike.

Yes, im talking about a brand new 06 450, and i heard theres big problems with the bottom end in these??

You misunderstood what he was saying. He was talking about the fact that even brand new, these bikes can have problems as they are high strung. I don't believe he was referring to the fact that a bike that has been raced would possibly be more likely to explode than a weekend warrior's bike.

Thank you killer!

Crazy5 -im talking about a brand new 06 450, and i heard theres big problems with the bottom end in these??

Crazy the only place I have heard of bottom end issues have been 2-3 folks on this thread. And if you really dissect their posts you will find wholes in their claims. We have a 05', (2) 06's, and a 07'. Race every weekend and practice once during the week. I personally ride with the service manager here in DFW Texas, and they have not had one come back with lower end problems. I know many folks (serious racers) at various tracks that ride these and have had no problems other than normal wear items or rider inflicted. Keep the oil changed, the oil filter clean and complete your valve train maintenance and these bikes are killer!

I understood what he was saying. I was just commenting on YOUR comment about a catastrophic failure happening on a race bike. :applause:

nvm boys, going with the 07 RM-Z250 at the end of this month!!Wooo

the RMZ450 is a nice bike but the motor is junk and could blow up on you before you have even worn out a set of grips or a chain. That's a fact!

If your going to get a RMZ-250 make sure it is a 2007. that is the year that Suzuki finally got rid of the kawasaki junk on it. All the other years are hard to get parts for and do you really want to be riding a green thing with yellow plastics?

I read about the time bomb thing and all most backed out of a sweet deal on a 06 RMZ450. glad i didn't could not find this problem in the real world.

Well said!:applause: