Sign in to follow this  

antifreeze in my oil

hey guys, i just rebuilt my motor about 10 hours ago and now all my antifreeze is pouring into my motor. it was coming out of the overflow and it was a huge mess. my best guess is that the head gasket is blown? what would cause this to happen? thanks a lot

i'd bet your guess is correct, did you check it with a straight edge? your head may not be straight. i usually put a big piece of 100 grit on a flat surface (i use a old window payne) run your head across it in a figure 8 patern a few times and re-check :applause:

my best guess is that the head gasket is blown? what would cause this to happen? thanks a lot

man just pull the head i garantee it is the head gasket,the only other possibility would be a crack in a coolant passage and i havn't seen that happen yet. not trying to sound arogant but i have been around bikes over 30 yrs and have owned 450r's since they hit the floor in late 2001. you wont know till you pull the head. good luck

my best guess is that the head gasket is blown? what would cause this to happen? thanks a lot

man just pull the head i garantee it is the head gasket,the only other possibility would be a crack in a coolant passage and i havn't seen that happen yet. not trying to sound arogant but i have been around bikes over 30 yrs and have owned 450r's since they hit the floor in late 2001. you wont know till you pull the head. good luck

alright thanks for the help however if i just did the top end should i get the cylinder and head checked for squareness?

alright thanks for the help however if i just did the top end should i get the cylinder and head checked for squareness?

you bet. that is what i'm talking about. take a metal straight edge and lay across it. if you can see daylight under it use a feeler gauge and you can get pretty close to what your machinist is going to take off. but most the time you can take care of it yourself with a flat surface and sandpaper.where guys screw up is using air tools on alluminium to remove gasket material. they make a rubber type cone that you can use on alluminium. even the roto-lock scotch pads will screw them up :applause:

i agree with biketrdr, you have to be very nice to aluminium, be nice to it and it will be nice back with reduced detonation and lower weight lol. The head gasket shouldnt be too bad considering you could have messed bigger things up (i done blown up a $350 000 CAT engine just lst week) so dont feel so bad, soon you shall be riding again

cheers

You can sand the deck on a flat countertop and some fine grit. Check with a feeler as posted above.