Sign in to follow this  

TC250 JD jet kit mainjet & leakjet question

Ok, so today I have three hours of garage time to myself and decided to rejet my 05 TC250. I followed the JD instructions, and dropped the recommended 185 mainjet and it rolled into the garage floor drain! I have installed the red needle with the clip in the 4th slot and installed the 42 pilot jet. My question is this, should I go get another 185 main or am I going to find out that it's not ideal for southwestern PA trails anyway and use one of the others in the kit? I didn't do the leakjet mod yet either, is it worth it?

I wouldn't worry about the exact size too much, certainly would not miss a riding opportunity - what size main do you have left? What leak jet is in there?

I wouldn't worry about the exact size too much, certainly would not miss a riding opportunity - what size main do you have left? What leak jet is in there?

I have a 170, 175, and a 180.

So put in the 180 it isn't that picky. For the record my 2006 TE250 has a 175 in it. Always playing with the jetting - don't know if its the 'perfect' size but works fine.

180 should be safe, I would try & round up a leak jet in the #60 to #70 range (or drill the one you have which is probubly a blank).

So put in the 180 it isn't that picky. For the record my 2006 TE250 has a 175 in it. Always playing with the jetting - don't know if its the 'perfect' size but works fine.

Are you using the stock needle or JD needle? The JD needle is a slightly larger diameter than the stock needle. Since the JD is larger, I was concerned that the 180 may end up being leaner than the stock 175.

Are you using the stock needle or JD needle? The JD needle is a slightly larger diameter than the stock needle. Since the JD is larger, I was concerned that the 180 may end up being leaner than the stock 175.

JD kit - at the moment blue needle but will go back to red now that it is warmer. Have not tried the stock needle.

I have a '06 TC and live close to the weather that you are riding. I am no jetting expert but while the weather has been cold I have been running the blue needle in the fourth clip with all JD recommended main and leak. I still feel the bike could be a little lean. I was going to go from the fourth clip position to the fith but now we have some warmer weather so I am going to see what it is like now. Mine does start well since I have been running this set up. I also am running the smaller 0-ring on the AP and will experiment with the larger one later. I am thinking there is a little more power down low if it was richened up.