Sign in to follow this  

04 yz250f harder to start

I have 2 hrs on my '04 yz250f after changing the piston (oem) and installing stage 1 hot cams. The bike seems to run great but it now takes 4 or 5 kicks to start when warm and a few kicks longer when cold. The bike used to start 1 or 2 kicks every time before piston and hot cam change. Do the hot cams make the bike a little harder to start? I love the added snap, but this starting will kill me on dead engine start hare scrambles.

Other info:

-put in new spark plug w/ piston & hot cam install

-Valves were in spec, only had to shim middle intake

-I cleaned carb and installed new starter jet

-Today was about 70 degrees which is a little warm for my JD blue needle I have in there now. Bike could be rich, however, using the hot start didn't seem to help either. I know the hotstart is working properly though, because the RPMs go up when I pull it.

Any ideas? :applause:

I agree you need to start by checking your valve clearance. I see you also installed a new "starter Jet". Did you adjuster your fuel screw to get the bike running correctly

thanks, I'll check valve clearance again.

The reason I changed starter jet was because I was cleaning my jets and accidently stripped out the starter jet trying to get it out. I replaced with a new one.