Young boy killed in motocross accident...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy who was at the track when the incident happened.. from what I understand they were on the pee wee track. But they mixed the 50's, 65's and 85's.. A kid on an 85 landed on the little boy.. IMO 50's are the very bottem of beginners and I have had some kids on 85's hand me my arse!! They have no buisness on the track with the 50's.. I to have decided to keep my kids from racing due to this story..

A quote from an article on the incident:

"There were four divisions of riders at Saturday's practice event sponsored by JMX Racing. Each division got its own turn on the track.

Cody was in the youngest division with kids on the smallest bikes. Cody rode a bike with a 50cc engine, capable of a maximum of about 30 mph.

But during Cody's run about 20 kids on bigger 85cc bikes -- two divisions higher than Cody's -- were also on the track, said Tammie Kolasinski, whose son was also on the track.

Parents noticed the older kids, but organizers didn't take them off the track."

Tragic story indeed. Too bad all tracks can't have organized practice sessions.

It can happen to anybody.

A 49 yr old rider was landed on by another adult at our local track and was hospitalized. He had some internal injuries and died 3 weeks after the accident. He had been riding over 30 yrs but made a mistake on the track.

He and another rider were following each other around about 2 bikelengths

apart. Jay lands a big tabletop and changes his riding line where the still airborn rider can't help but land on him.

This is a dangerous sport we participate in folks.

Tragic things happen all the time.

Still very sad about the 5yr old for sure.

R.I.P. little guy

This is so sad. It is one of my greatest fears. My 8 y/o loves riding\racing & I could never forgive myself if anything happened to him. I think sometimes the kids on the 85's are more dangerous than the big bikes. My son was hit by a kid last year on an 85 & broke his arm. Most of the bigger riders seem to be more cautious.

I have been so proud of my young boy (5) who just learned to ride without his training wheels on his JR50. And he is asking to race all the time. This type of thing adds to my fears in encouraging him to race or even ride at his age.

Z

This is so sad. It is one of my greatest fears. My 8 y/o loves riding\racing & I could never forgive myself if anything happened to him. I think sometimes the kids on the 85's are more dangerous than the big bikes. My son was hit by a kid last year on an 85 & broke his arm. Most of the bigger riders seem to be more cautious.

You nailed it.

Definetly a sad story. Makes me think hard about this becasue my stepson is racing 50s now.

We've never been to an open paractice. On race days the riders are always dived up pretty well by skill level. 50 begineer, Intermediate, and Junior. The parents are pretty active on getting this sorted out. For example, at the first race, the intermediates and juniors rode together. That got a little dangerous for the intermediate riders and the parents called out the organizing body and got it somewhat sorted out in time for the next race. At the last race, the kids had a separate track with no blind junps. For the most part, the young kids are pretty carefull of each other on the track. I wouldn't think about putting him on a track with 65s or 85s. The one thing I can think of that worries me a bit now is having the mix of ages in the 50 begineer class, they range from 4 to 9 years old.

This isn't just a problem with younger kids. At our last race, there were so many racers entered, they put begineers, intermediates, and juniors in the sportsman(25+, 30+, etc.) classes on the track at the same time for our motos. 3 different gates. Not really the safest scenario, IMO. With my skill level, I can hold onto last place without being a problem for the other begineers, but the Juniors were flying by me by lap 2. I got to thinking, "should I even be out here?" The answer was NO. My goal was to ride safe, hold a line, and not get over my head. I thought about packing it up and waiting for a practice day. But now that I think a little more, why would I hold out for a practice day with even more advanced riders when the race day is really the best chance to share the track with riders of mostly the same skill level?

This is an inheretly dangerous sport. I think putting riders of the same skill level on the track should be a top priority. For those parents who are wavering about putting your kids into MX racing, I understand the fear. But I also feel like racing can be a fun, safe experience if organized correctly. My stepson has had some farily severe crashes just play riding in the desert. Racing keeps him focused. He's making friends at the track. And he's learning sportsmanship at a youg age.

I don't really have a point here. Just my rambling thoughts. I'm sure to have this tradegy in the back of my mind as we head into this weekend's racing.

A quote from an article on the incident:

"There were four divisions of riders at Saturday's practice event sponsored by JMX Racing. Each division got its own turn on the track.

Cody was in the youngest division with kids on the smallest bikes. Cody rode a bike with a 50cc engine, capable of a maximum of about 30 mph.

But during Cody's run about 20 kids on bigger 85cc bikes -- two divisions higher than Cody's -- were also on the track, said Tammie Kolasinski, whose son was also on the track.

Parents noticed the older kids, but organizers didn't take them off the track."

And with those words, the lawsuit will be filed, and this track and it's owner will be both bankrupt.

Sad to hear about the little guy, even sadder to hear when it could have been easily prevented.

A seven year old died yesterday when he hit a tree while practicing in florida. Unfortunately these are the risks every time we swing a leg over the bike because this sport is inherently dangerous.

Know the risks and be careful out there.

Screw the prayers! We have to DO something!

Pray when there's nothing left to do...

Yes, looking beyond this one instance, you would think taking responsibility for our own actions should be our first priority.

• 3 weeks later...
My dad never allowed me to ride bikes until I moved out of the house. Now I know why. I have two little girls. Fortunately they have no interest in motorcycles.

My parents didn't want me riding either, but they saw no problem with me operating farm equipment, handling livestock, climbing into silo's and haylofts.

That argument alone won me permission to have a bike.:D

That and, in their eyes, a 3 wheeler and snowmobile were sooo much safer.:naughty:

Life is a gamble, have fun til the money (time) runs out!:bonk:

My dad never allowed me to ride bikes until I moved out of the house. Now I know why. I have two little girls. Fortunately they have no interest in motorcycles.

My parents would not let me own one until I was out the house. I have a boy who loves dirtbikes as much as I do and I'm torn. We have so much fun riding together but the thought of him getting hurt makes me just want to sell all our dirtbikes. I know we can get hurt doing other things but as a parent I worry.

Man that sucks. I love watching my 6 y.o. ride his PW. At our club, we have a track dedicated to 50's only. No big bikes/people allowed. It is a very nice track, and that is where the kids practice and race. I just couldnt let my kids ride with the "big kids". I feel so badly for the little boys family. I just dont know how I could go on without my kids. I hope they find the strentgh and support to get throught this. For the rest of us parents, remember to cherrish your little ones every day, tell them how much you love them. Godspeed to the family and friends of this little boy.