Sign in to follow this  

New tyres for my 250EXC-F

Did a 2 day tour this weekend in Southern Western Australia and discovered beyond doubt that the standard Pirelli's are crap. Had the front end wash out on several occasions ... tour leader has a 250EXC-F and said he agreed that the standard tyres should be binned.

So time for some new tyres.

Done plenty of 'searching' on tyre choice on previous threads. The trails over here are a combo of sand, pea gravel, loose shale/rocks, and hardpack.

From research, peoples favourite combo's are

Michelin M12 front and Michelin S12 rear

Dunlop 742F front and Dunlop 952 rear

As I've not tried either of these combos can anyone give advice to help me make the final decision based on the types of conditions over here.

When it comes to tires and oil, you're bound to get a million different opinions. Here are mine. First of all, I find the front tire to be the most important. A good front tire makes all the difference in the world.

Definately the M12 up front. Works great everywhere.

For the rear, the S12 is good for sand, mud, grass and loose soil but will chunk bad in the rocks. Alot of people like this tire but I really don't as it stinks in rocks. If you go that route, get the bigger one that equates to a 110/100-18. Can't remember Michelins goofy sizing.

I like the Bridgestone 402 for a good all around knobby. They come stock on the American KTM's and like the M12 front, work pretty good everywhere.

Don't know which Pirellis you have, but the MT32 and MT16 are good tires. The MT16 is more intermediate to hard terrain and wears well while the 32 is for a little softer terrian but also wears quicker as it has a softer compound.

There are many others but I'll leave it at that.

Hey Dances

I though the S12 on the front was a better choice

because of the slanted outer knobs that grabs better.

I need to buy a rear tire soon

the ones that came with my XCF is almost gone

the compound is kind of soft and wears too quickly.

regards,

Charles

The S12 front sticks like glue in the sand and soft stuff but is all over in the rocks. Since my area has so much rock, it enfluences my opinion quite a bit. I had one on for awhile last year and couldn't wait to get it off.

Hey Dances

thanks for the info

So which tire you would recommend as an overall condition.

you see, we have pretty much every terrain imaginable down here.

The usual trails we ride have:

river beds (water, mud, rocks) loose terrain and roots.

usually we don't go thru the sand but sometimes we pass thru some.

So I need an overall great performance tire for my trails.

I was looking to get a trials after a few posts here but

not sure if that's the answer for my trails.

If I try it which one should I get:

1. Tube or Tubeless Trials (if with tubes which tubes are the best)

2. What brands and models you recommend.

thanks

Charles

We have a mix of everything here too although I tend to stay to the difficult, rocky stuff. My personal recommendations are the M12 front and a trials rear. Doesn't matter which one. I've used them all and they all perform pretty much the same on a normal dirt bike so I tend to use either the IRC or Dunlop since they are cheaper. I also run a Bridgestone Ultra heavy duty tube because at the lower pressures I run with a trials tire(9 psi typically), it makes it more prone to pinch flats.

If the trials tire doesn't fit your taste, I like the Bridgestone 402 for combinations of conditions like you describe. But if you ride rocky, rooty technical trail, try a trials tire. After the intitial period of getting used to it, you may never go back. I gave an old one to an A rider buddy of mine who is super fast in tight trees and he was very skeptical of it. After a couple rides he was hooked. Then he took it in the rocks and was blown away by the grip.

For the rear in the conditions you are talking about, a rear trials tire might be worth looking at.

MS3 Michelin makes for a good all around tire also. I am getting ready to try a M12 to compare. S12 fronts work great in soft conditions, but like Dances said, they are crap in hardpack. The MS3 handles everything well, mud, not as good as the S12, but handles everything else great. S12 rear, as long as you stay with at least a 130/80, holds up very well and even wore half way, will hook up as well as some new tires I have had.

It doesn't really matter. You're going to need to run a tube either way. the tubeless tire is supposed to have a slightly stiffer sidewall and I'm running one now only because that's all that was available. I couldn't tell the difference either riding or installing it. Ultimately, I'd love to have a tubeless rim and toss the tube completely. :applause:

Did a 2 day tour this weekend in Southern Western Australia and discovered beyond doubt that the standard Pirelli's are crap. Had the front end wash out on several occasions ... tour leader has a 250EXC-F and said he agreed that the standard tyres should be binned.

So time for some new tyres.

Done plenty of 'searching' on tyre choice on previous threads. The trails over here are a combo of sand, pea gravel, loose shale/rocks, and hardpack.

From research, peoples favourite combo's are

Michelin M12 front and Michelin S12 rear

Dunlop 742F front and Dunlop 952 rear

As I've not tried either of these combos can anyone give advice to help me make the final decision based on the types of conditions over here.

I have the XCFW and like all your options above and most of Dances comments also.

Though, if your front is really washing a lot, you may want to double check some other things like suspension sag, tire pressure, and keeping your head over the bar (sorry, you're probably doing all that...).

I couldn't find the 952 in an 18in. wheel? I've used the s12 a lot on front and rear. But, now I use the M12 on front and try to put the s12 on the rear only when conditions are real wet cuz it wears out in the rocks very quickly.

Thanks for your help guys :applause: Tyres are always a tough choice. Any advice is usefull.

Going with the M12 on the front and a Bridgestone M402 rear (was tempted by the M602). I'll report back how they go.

PS. Charles,with so many specific questions you'd be better off starting your own thread ... you're deep into thread stealing territory on this one.

No worries bud..

Just make sure you update us on what you end up going for and what they're like.

birdestone ED 12 for grip and last....try it you won't be disapointed, i ride alot of open beach fire trails and single track , shale hills and rock, this tyre lasts, even ater long stints on TAR..im on my third ED 12..

and yes the perreli scorpions that are released with the bikes are the worst tires for everything!...most romove them straight away as i did.

Thanks for your help guys :applause: Tyres are always a tough choice. Any advice is usefull.

Going with the M12 on the front and a Bridgestone M402 rear (was tempted by the M602). I'll report back how they go.

PS. Charles,with so many specific questions you'd be better off starting your own thread ... you're deep into thread stealing territory on this one.

My stock 402 didn't last but a few rides of 30 to 35 miles each on my SXF. The knobs aren't very tall compared to other tires.