Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Tube and Assembly

What is the best way to clean up the throttle tube and cables? My throttle felt somewhat gritty and it didn't have the same response as my other two bikes have. I decided to take the tube off and on the inside of the tube it was like black soot. I washed everything down and dried the inside of the tube.

my questions are:

1) Is there supposed to be some sort of lubricant that goes inside the tube or the handlebar when re-installing the tube?

2) What is the best method to clean and oil my cables? Throttle cable, clutch and hotstart?

Thanks in advance,

T

For your first question you can use a little WD-40 on the inside of the throttle tube and in the housing that goes around it. I find that the best thing to keep it operating smothly is just to take it apart and clean everything with brake cleaner, it is like a 10 minute job. For the cables them selves you can buy a cable lube and a little clap thing that helps get the lube into the cable. You can also check to make sure that everything is routed proberly. If you have done some work and you did not run the cable quite right that can cause it to get hung up. I was having an issue with my throttle sticking a little bit, lubing helped but I ended up just replacing the cables. Cost was like 25 bucks and an hour or so of work. It was good as new after that.

What is the best way to clean up the throttle tube and cables? My throttle felt somewhat gritty and it didn't have the same response as my other two bikes have. I decided to take the tube off and on the inside of the tube it was like black soot. I washed everything down and dried the inside of the tube.

my questions are:

1) Is there supposed to be some sort of lubricant that goes inside the tube or the handlebar when re-installing the tube?

2) What is the best method to clean and oil my cables? Throttle cable, clutch and hotstart?

Thanks in advance,

T

1) Powdered graphite!!!! Works GREAT, nothing to get sticky!

I flush the throttle with WD-40. Ive never had problems with dirty cables-maybe because I was the bike like I have OCD.