Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed Trailer Insurance?

I am going to buy a new 6x12 enclosed trailer in the next couple weeks, but today my dad and I hit a snag as far as buying one goes.

From what I understand, in NY, any trailer under 999lbs doesn't need any kind of insurance on it's own. The trailer that I am looking at weighs in at 1080lbs.

So, I need to get the trailer it's own insurance policy, correct? And how much will that policy cost me?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm new at the whole trailer thing...lol

My enclosed trailer costs $30 a year to insure. Of course, the house, 2 vehicles, and trailer are all with the same company.

• Like 1

Wouldn't The Dmv Want Proof Of Insurance When Registering The Trailer? I Just Purchased A New 6x12 That Weighs 1395 And I Registered It 3 Weeks Ago And Dmv Never Said A Word About Insurance.

I am going to buy a new 6x12 enclosed trailer in the next couple weeks, but today my dad and I hit a snag as far as buying one goes.

From what I understand, in NY, any trailer under 999lbs doesn't need any kind of insurance on it's own. The trailer that I am looking at weighs in at 1080lbs.

So, I need to get the trailer it's own insurance policy, correct? And how much will that policy cost me?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm new at the whole trailer thing...lol

Is this for liability, or damage, theft, fire, etc???

From- http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nysdmv.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=570&p_created=1078408819&p_sid=XFMjNjwi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTE0OSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9MzYmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0xLjM2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1pbnN1cmFuY2UgdHJhaWxlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

In NYS, a trailer normally must be registered and inspected. A non-commercial trailer is exempt from the requirement for liability insurance. A non-commercial trailer is covered under the liability insurance of the motor vehicle that tows the trailer.

Trailer Registration

A trailer must be registered. There are machines and other devices that are similar to trailers or that look like trailers that are exempt from the requirement to be registered. Read form form MV-274 (Trailer-type Vehicles Not Requiring Registration) for more information.

The requirements to register a trailer are the same as the requirements to register a motor vehicle except that:

The NYSDMV does not issue a title certificate if the trailer has an unladen weight of 999 pounds or less. The proof of ownership issued if the trailer has an unladen weight of 999 pounds or less is a transferable registration.

Proof of insurance is not required to register a non-commercial trailer.

The expiration date for a trailer registration is December 31. A trailer registration is issued for one year, not for two years.

Trailer Inspection

An annual safety inspection is required for a trailer. A DMV-licensed inspection station that inspects passenger vehicles and other light-duty vehicles can inspect a trailer. The inspector will give you the inspection sticker. Carry the inspection sticker in the vehicle that tows the trailer.

It looks as if it is a non-commercial trailer, you do not need liability insurance on the trailer, since it is covered by the insurance of the vehicle that is towing it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys. :applause:

I can't wait to pick up my trailer and start converting it to a mini-toy hauler. :lol:

...It looks as if it is a non-commercial trailer, you do not need liability insurance on the trailer, since it is covered by the insurance of the vehicle that is towing it.

Its the same way here. But I found out if mine is stolen from my yard, its only covered for $1000! from my homeowners insurance. But in tow, its fully covered by my car insurance, which is the same company so far.

Out here, the trailer is covered by the tow vehicle for liability only. If it gets damaged while in tow, you are SOL unless you have full coverage on it. My 35 foot fifth wheel camper only costs me $45 year. Cheap insurance for peace of mind.