Sign in to follow this  

Some Honda Questions for those in the know

Never thought I would buy a Honda but I have heard great things about XR 100's for a starter bike for my wife.

My first Q is when did they stop making the XR? It looks like in cycle trader they XR's stop at 2003. Is the CRF 100 just a rename for the same product?

Second Q are these things really as bulletproof as everyone say they are?

Third Q, How do they stack up agaisnt the ttr-125's? Are they shorter in height, better motor, lighter? My wife is short and she fit on my neighbors XR 80, are the 100's dramatically taller?

Thanks in advance, just trying to educate myself before I pull the trigger.:applause:

first... yes its now called a crf, same bike. Also the are bulletproof, change oil clean the air filter and you'll ride it tens years easy, and will definetely outlast a ttr :lol: You can go to hondas web sit to check out the seat heights, and the 100 nots much bigger than the 80, You will not be dissapointed :applause::lol:

A TTR has better suspension, front disc, e-start, strong motor. A XR motor can be made faster than a TTR. So it's a trade off. You need plenty of parts to make each ridable such as bars, foot pegs, chain guide, cradle, etc. Get her a big wheel TTR if you can, you won't be disappointed. I've had both, so if you have specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

my girlfriend is 5'3 i just baught her a '02 xr200r, fits her perfect, put a new fmf core 4 pipe on it, and she handles it fine, its her first machine too, she only rode my yfz450 before for about 5 hours to learn how to ride, so i mean if a girl that height, can start of on a yfz450, and handle it and not kill herself or crash once, i dont see why people say start off small, when the next year when there 'perfect' on what they have you have to go buy a new machine, she's PG right now, when my kidds 2, i got a 50cc four weeler waiting fr em, he'll be on a blaster sized quad by time hes 8, i was on one at 10

Yea Hondas are bulletproof. My dad had an 87' XR250R and it never had any problems EVER, its all just gas oil and tire pressure. :applause:

SoCalxr pretty much summed it up.

CRF100F, Honda announces Bold New Plastic for the XR line... :applause:

I took my wife out to learn how to ride on my 1979 XR80. She did pretty well.

My son didn't do so well on the XR100. The bike took off and he panicked on the second ride.

You have to balance out how aggressive or timid the newbie is. They will outgrow a small bike faster, yet it is easier to learn on a small bike.

my wife is only 5'0, she didtn want to start on anything except a XR100, everything else intimidated her, she wont even touch my KTM 400

Well I did it, I bought her a brand new 06 CRF100 yesterday. Thanks for the advice. Any other tid bits of info I should know about this bike?

Take her out to the biggest most open space you can find, where she won't have to worry about running into anything and can concentrate on using the throttle and brakes. find a good spot. sometimes you only get one shot to teach them.

And please make sure she has gear on ALWAYS! Most crashes happen the first 30 seconds of a ride! I let my daughters boyfriend ride my XR250 in the back yard. This guy is a state wrestling champ, top athlete! got on the bike ran it right into a tree while we all watched! I think the Wright brothers flew longer than that ride! He had my gear on so it was the funniest thing I ever saw! Only thing broken was a big pile of pride!

Take her out to the biggest most open space you can find, where she won't have to worry about running into anything and can concentrate on using the throttle and brakes. find a good spot. sometimes you only get one shot to teach them.

I wish I would have taken your advice.

Heres the story, yesterday I take in the backyard to teach her. The first start off she grabs too much throttle and does a full off the bike wheelie, thank god she landed on her feet. That isn't the worst part though.

She then proceeds to put around for a little while in first gear and just as I think she's doing ok she gives it too much throttle again flies towards the back of the seat which makes her give it more throttle. She then runs the bike into the side of the house, just a glancing blow but she runs over our new potted flowers and shears off a sprinkler valve.

So she starts freaking out and crying, meanwhile the bikes on the ground, there is water spraying everywhere from the sheared valve. What a nightmare. She says she hates it and never wants to do it again and now she is mad as me for buying her the bike.

Well I finally talked her into still going to the desert this weekend and she says she is gonna give it another go.:applause: '

I wish I would have had a video camera.

I wish I would have taken your advice.

Heres the story, yesterday I take in the backyard to teach her. The first start off she grabs too much throttle and does a full off the bike wheelie, thank god she landed on her feet. That isn't the worst part though.

She then proceeds to put around for a little while in first gear and just as I think she's doing ok she gives it too much throttle again flies towards the back of the seat which makes her give it more throttle. She then runs the bike into the side of the house, just a glancing blow but she runs over our new potted flowers and shears off a sprinkler valve.

So she starts freaking out and crying, meanwhile the bikes on the ground, there is water spraying everywhere from the sheared valve. What a nightmare. She says she hates it and never wants to do it again and now she is mad as me for buying her the bike.

Well I finally talked her into still going to the desert this weekend and she says she is gonna give it another go. '

I wish I would have had a video camera.

Man that was a bad first ride. Make her keep trying, just do it in an open field or somthing. It sucks to see that happen to a new rider.