Sign in to follow this  

could 1 broken clutch basket bolt cause severe "chatter"?

Newbie here to the mechanics of bikes, etc. i was building up everything to new condition on a 1989 yz 125 and when i went to torque the main clutch bolt, one of the basket bolt shafts broke into a bunch of pieces. i was using the special tool the manual said to, to stop everything from turning, and i was using a torque wrench according to the manuals recommendations.

So me being the dummy i am, i continued to assemble everything with my manual in hand, started it up and tried to take off in first gear and it was jumping all over the place.

In the back of my mind i know it can't be good but i just wanted to know for future reference if this is normal behaviour? There were also always slight grooves on the basket, but it was working ok before, smooth when the cable was set correctly.

I want to give this bike one more go, because earlier i actually enjoyed learning on it, and everything is in really good shape now, except for the basket :applause:

Is there any issue with me purchasing these after market, stronger baskets for such an old bike?

Thanks!

The broken bolt would for sure cause this. Each bolt holds the spring in place for resistance. With a broken bolt you would have no resistance on that specific point.

Love the attitude on the slight error, however. Rarely do we make these mistakes again and it is a great way to learn the system.