Fork oil How to

Hey all.

Both Fork Seals have been leaking for a while now but am pretty sure the seals arnt blown as they are not that old. Gonna try the feeler gauge trick and see how I go. How do you guys remove the dust seals ? and how do I top up the fork oil ?

Cheers

Carefully move them down with a screw driver. Regardless of age your seal can be leaking if something deformed the lip. Try the feeler gauge and if it doesn't work disassemble them and put a fresh set in. As far as replenishing the lost oil- with the Showa TCs you have to drain them and put in the measured amount- that is the only way to know the height in the outter chamber. If you need help we'll talk you through it. BTW -Racetech sells a nice graduated cylinder for $20:ride:

If the seals are blown, do not just replace the seals, put in new bushings, b/c if you replace the seals w/out replacing the bushings they will just blow again. (the worn bushing will have too much play and ware out the seal very fast)... You can get the pivotworks fork kits for around $60 at rockymountainatv.com --comes w/ bushings and seals for both forks... I use Belray 5wt fork oil

But first I would try the feeler gauge trick...

• 2 weeks later...