Sign in to follow this  

Starting Issue/ Valves

i just got my 2005 crf250 and it would not start. the guy that i bought it from raced pro and said that his mechanics were the ones that always started it. he told us that he used starting fluid once and it started right up. i tried it and it worked. i rode the bike for about an hour and went farely easy on it. after i rode it i decided to check the valves because of the starting issue. the valves were so tight that the feeler gauge would not even fit. i just brought the bike to sun to have them set my valves. i started to talk to a guy and he told me depending on how long it has been rode that i may need a new top end rebuild. the bike has a pr2 race motor and that is porting and polishing/ decking, titanium valves high compression piston and some other upgrades.

what do you guys think it is?? if i so need a rebuild what route should i take?? and about how much money should i plan on spending?? and does anybody now some stuff about the pr2 motor??

If your clearances went to zero then you need new valves. Get the head off and have it inspected and have the seats cut to accept new valves. While you are in there see what condition the piston is in.

Sounds like the bike was raced and then sold before the maintenance was done on the top end. Get it done so you can enjoy that thing.