Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Questions

First let me say hello. While I have bought stuff from TT I have never posted.

I just bought my son an 04 CRf 80 and had a couple of questions since the bike didn't come with any of the manuals.

1) How much oil does this bike hold?

2) As this is the first bike for my son, I want to be able to limit how much throttle he gets. Does someone make a diff twist throttle that can be adjusted so he only has half throttle for example? Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Rob

:applause:

I think the klx110 comes with an adjustable throttle. You might be able to get a complete one off ebay. But I'm sure there's an after market one too.

The 04 crf80 takes 1 quart of oil. No need for a ratio rite here, they make it easy. Nice little bikes, I'm teaching my wife to ride on one.

One more thing, I always loosen my perches ( clutch & brake ) a little bit to give room to move a little. You dont want to replace a perch every time they lay it down. I've been doing it for years on my bikes as well.

I found the answer myself on TT. 10-40.

Anyone else have any other ideas with an adjustable throttle?

Thanks

never seen any other than the 110's. It uses different length screws to limit how much the throttle would open. I'd get that for sure.

Are we sure the KLX 110 thottle assembly will fit on this bike? Will I need a new cable?

Two more questions

1) Anyone know of any clutch and brake pertches that would bring the levers closer to the bars? I've thought about bending them but wanted others ideas.

2) Anyway, besides cutting the seat, to lower the crf 80. The rear suspension doesn't have any adjustability that I can see.

Thanks

2) As this is the first bike for my son, I want to be able to limit how much throttle he gets. Does someone make a diff twist throttle that can be adjusted so he only has half throttle for example? Any other ideas?

:

You could put a small piece of PVC or other plastic tubing inside the top of the carb...over the cable and inside the return spring. This will limit how far the slide can move up. He'd never know you did it and as he gets better you can continue to shorten it bit by bit and he'll just think the bike is running better & better. With an adjustable throttle, if he's anything like my kids, he'll figure out how to adjust it himself in no time.

You could put a small piece of PVC or other plastic tubing inside the top of the carb...over the cable and inside the return spring. This will limit how far the slide can move up. He'd never know you did it and as he gets better you can continue to shorten it bit by bit and he'll just think the bike is running better & better. With an adjustable throttle, if he's anything like my kids, he'll figure out how to adjust it himself in no time.

Somebody makes something like that, can't remember who. Saw it in a catalog. If I see it I will post it. As far as the levers. The ASV and ARC "nonbreakable" folding ones are popular with mini riders because you can move the set screw and adjust the lever in. Although, the are about $50 a pop.

John if you think about it it they make sense.

If you break a lever maybe twice a year (thats a generous estimate) then an ASV or ARC lever already paid for themselves.

I bought 4 of them on evilbay for $20 each and haven't broken one yet in 2 years of riding.

The real plus is like you said you can set them up perfectly for how you like them.

Are we sure the KLX 110 thottle assembly will fit on this bike? Will I need a new cable?

Two more questions

1) Anyone know of any clutch and brake pertches that would bring the levers closer to the bars? I've thought about bending them but wanted others ideas.

2) Anyway, besides cutting the seat, to lower the crf 80. The rear suspension doesn't have any adjustability that I can see.

Thanks

ASV makes adjustable levers. I got them on e-bay for short $$$. The name of the store is asvinventions

The TT store,Bto, or motosport might make a lowering link for the 80.

check www.denniskirk.com i order alot through there for parts, i think they might have what you need for a throttle limiter there catalog is 1200 pages, so they might have what you need, hope this helps