Sign in to follow this  

Bad luck comes in threes.

:applause: last 3 rides for me have all resulted in a broken bike.

1) Went out to chappie with my buddy about a month ago, all was good, sun was shining there was no snow until...

I get to the top of the mountain on the main road and the northwest facing slope was solid ice. Gingerly heading down the road on a patch of ice 5 inches thick and 100 yards long I started to slide, front tire took one rut and the back found another. Sliding sideways for about 10 yards, i thought i was going to make it to the end of the ice patch unscathed, but nooooooooooooo. Down i wnet and my barkbuster spun and broke my clutch line at the banjo bolt next to the master cylinder(?). Now I am on the down hill side of a huge ice patch with no clutch. Lucklily things went smoothly and I rode back 12 miles to the truck with no clutch.

2)

So i fix the clutch, bleed it etc in preparation for a big weekend at Stonyford Presidents Day weekend. Saturday am, I get on the bike and we start to head out. 2 miles later, no clutch AGAIN. We get to the top of letts ridge and try to patch things back together but it is spewing oil everywhere.

Lesson learned, make sure you route all cables and line properly. I had left the clutch line laying on the cylinder head and it had melted down to the braided steel. I said piss it that day and rode the rest of the ride with no clutch. 35 miles of prime stonyford, I wasn't going to sit in camp and whine. Luckily I got to ride Damones XR400 later that day so I could take the wife riding and then On Sunday D had a case of sore muscles so I got to ride it again on Sunday. thanks D

3) New handguards, new pegs, new clutch line, new gloves, new wheel bearings, fixed my loose spokes(finally) new plastics, graphics I am ready to ride.

Head out this morning, fired up, it was warm, the dirt was moist, I was feeling good. Noticed a little steam from the bike after a long up hill, no problem I probably overfilled the radiator, wouldn't be the first time. Anyway, drop down the hill and head up the otherside. Still getting a little steam when I stopped. Crested one hill and thought, something isn't right, because now the bike is losing power. F it we better turn around. Bike started to run worse and worse, but I had one big hill to pull. By the time I neared the top I had it in first and was clutching it to make the last few feet. It had lost 75% of its power. We stopped and let things cooled down, but there was absolutely no water leaking and I could see some in the radiator, weird.

we make it back to the truck and drank a beer. I kicked the bike over and water started pouring out. Pulled the tank and seat and the "y" connector between the two radiators had a hole about the size of a pencil eraser in it.

Freak F-ing accident. :naughty:

:lol::eek::lol:

So now I am going to fix that. I think heating the bike up like that wasn't too good so I am going to rebuild the top end and maybe bore it out, can't hurt.

How long do you keep fixing an old bike??

I love this bike and it is a hoot to ride but damn I having some bad luck. Really makes me want to spend $5000-$6000 on a newer bike. I won't though, another $500 and this baby will be screaming again.

Long live the smokers.

• Like 1

The fix is going to be easy, I will just be wondering what next for a few rides. I have been running the same top end that was in it when I bought it two years ago.

If I ever get rid of it I will definetely give back the pipe guard plus a few items.

I couldn't agree more. My problems weren't as bad as yours, but they came in threes as well.

I just bought a new bike at Thanksgiving, and in the first 300 miles, and 3 trips off road, I limped back with 3 flats. I was 3 for 3.

I am over the hump now with two successful trips. Just as much air as when I left.

My wife caught wind of my looking at a 07 KTM 300, I will stay on my YZ another year.

You gotta keep that under wraps until right after she opens her b-day present (new bedroom set, diamond, etc...) then bring it up and she wont be listening, but she will undoubtedly say yes to a perfectly laced question :applause:

:usa: I got a story for you! We took a Stony trip yesterday that ended up being a total F:censored: nightmare. We rode all day long.:applause: Loaded the trailer with three bikes and headed home, and 10mile out of Maxwell I blow a tire on the trailer.:lol: Also didn’t have a spare tire and four cell phones with no battery left on any of them.:naughty: I get one call off to the daughter’s boyfriend to go to Wal-Mart and get us a tire and wheel. So, we sit out on the side of the road drinking what beer we had left and etc!:ride: He shows up with a smaller wheel and tire, but the little sucker matched the lug pattern. I through the tire on... pull the jack out... Drive two miles and the F:censored: wheel flies off the trailer!!! Forgot to tighten the lugs. Jack the thing up a second time stole two of the four lug nuts off the good side, and slapped it together with two lugs nuts holding each tire on. :lol: Drove all the way back to Yuba City looking like a jackass.. :lol::eek:

My buddies took pictures every step of the way. So, I’m sure it won’t be long for those to show up….:lol::worthy:

:usa: I got a story for you! We took a Stony trip yesterday that ended up being a total F:censored: nightmare. We rode all day long.:applause: Loaded the trailer with three bikes and headed home, and 10mile out of Maxwell I blow a tire on the trailer.:lol: Also didn’t have a spare tire and four cell phones with no battery left on any of them.:naughty: I get one call off to the daughter’s boyfriend to go to Wal-Mart and get us a tire and wheel. So, we sit out on the side of the road drinking what beer we had left and etc!:ride: He shows up with a smaller wheel and tire, but the little sucker matched the lug pattern. I through the tire on... pull the jack out... Drive two miles and the F:censored: wheel flies off the trailer!!! Forgot to tighten the lugs. Jack the thing up a second time stole two of the four lug nuts off the good side, and slapped it together with two lugs nuts holding each tire on. :lol: Drove all the way back to Yuba City looking like a jackass.. :lol::eek:

My buddies took pictures every step of the way. So, I’m sure it won’t be long for those to show up….:lol::worthy:

What are friends fir. At least you rode a killer spot all day.

:applause: Good for You Yuba! Stones you've got! Who needs lugs?

These stories are what makes TT so great! :lol:

Took the bike to the shop today. They are going to tear into it and let me know the damage. I figure that I may as well do both the top end and bottom end at the same time. I have had the bike for 2 years and figure it will be cheap insurance. luckily it isn't a 4 st, the bill on that would be horrendus.

Hopefully I didn't warp the head. At minimum I think I blew the head gasket.

$200 here $400 there, i guess it is still cheaper than a new bike. And this one is dialed in for me, with lots of new goodies on it.