Sign in to follow this  

Throttle tube and assembly

What is the best way to clean up the throttle tube and cables? My throttle felt somewhat gritty and it didn't have the same response as my other two bikes have. I decided to take the tube off and on the inside of the tube it was like black soot. I washed everything down and dried the inside of the tube.

my questions are:

1) Is there supposed to be some sort of lubricant that goes inside the tube or the handlebar when re-installing the tube?

2) What is the best method to clean and oil my cables? Throttle cable, clutch and hotstart?

to clean spray contact cleaner down the cables and in the tube. then lube the cables with cable lube. then spray wd 40 in the throttle tube. I clean out the old wd-40 every couple rides so no dirt starts collecting in there.

Thanks for the information. Should I disconnect the cables going into the carb to let the contact cleaner run down the cable?

Disconnect the cables on both ends, and if you don't have one yet get the special clamp made to clean and lube cables. Position a rag at the end of the cable to catch the cleaner and lube that comes out of the end. I use carburetor or brake cleaner for cleaning, and graphite to lube the throttle tube as it doesn't collect dirt and grit like an oil or grease based lube.