Air Filter element question?

I must qualify this question...before I start... I am new to these kind of bikes...I have been riding Harley's before this. So all this PM stuff is new to me.

Today I went on a 130 miles ride dirt trails and water crossing...WOW what a bunch of fun. Well I knew that I was going to clean the bike..and then I pulled out the filter element...looked pretty clean....I did notice a small amount of water in the bottom of the air box...I pulled the plugs...and dried out the remaining water. I have since soaked the element in hot water...and dried it...and even air compressored blew it dry.

The Suzuki service manual say to put motor oil on it?? What do you guys do? What about cleaning? Any help will be appreciated!!

cleaning with good clean non-flammable solvent is the official way.... gasoline works great, but is more dangerous ... the latest generation air filter oils are superior to motor oil.. and remember 3 biggies... don't get too aggressive with the foam(u don't want to tear it), it's the oil that does the filtering(a nice even distribution is best) and 3, take the time to double-check that it's installed correctly, (nothing ruins a good engine faster than grime taking a short cut around a filter that isn't on the cage right,or isn't up tight against the airbox correctly)

You may want to consider going with NoToil filter oil. It's biodegradable so you clean the filter with water instead of gas or other solvent cleaner. There is some debate over whether Notoil is better or worse than typical filter oil, but I believe that if you keep the filter clean and oiled with NoToil you will have no problems. I just like that I can clean the filter with soap and water. You can get the NoToil in an aerosol or a liquid. I also use the NoToil filter cleaner since I bought them both together, but I believe detergent and water would be fine.

http://www.notoil.com/

Yea I just clean the filter with soap and water. Let dry really good. Then use a good quality foam filter oil. I use a little grease around where the filter contacts the air box for added protection.

I use motor oil as a last resort. But it will work in a pinch.

Foam filter oil is sticky stuff and does a great job of catching the finest dust particles.

This is a job we all hate but it will prolong your engine life considerably.

JRS -

> I use motor oil as a last resort. But it will work in a pinch.

It works very well - pinch or not.

I have been using motor oil on lawn mower and motorcycle foam air filters since 1972. Foam deteriorates with use, but regular motor oil works just fine.

Good comment about sealing the edges with grease. Never hurts.

Rick

Hey Rick, I know it is a big debate. I used motor oil back in the 70's and 80's myself. It does work fine if you clean your filter regular and don't let your bike sit long. But I believe filter oil adds life to the filter and engine alike. It is sticky, more than motor oil.

Motor oil works good, but it won't last long. If you leave your bike parked very long you will have trouble. Motor oil drains off of the element leaving spots of the foam dry where dirt will go through. Foam filter oil will stay on the element for a long time maybe even years? And the element will still be moist to the touch. Remember, the oil stops the dirt, the filter just holds the oil!

Anything is better than a dry filter. Don't even think to start the engine without some kind of oil on the filter. And don't try WD 40!!

well....I bought the No toil kit.....cleaner, filter oil, and the green goop for better surface conact between the filter and the box.....man what a messy job. Doable ...but messy....on to the next thing...what ever that may be??

Hmm with that water crossing yesterday...should I be worried about my spark plug???

So here is the water crossing that I stalled the bike in. Got off the bike after it would not start....and had 2 push it out. Water was up to my hip....:applause:

Larrysoon2bestuckinwater.jpg

Hey...I am new to this stuff...but man it was fun!!!

Thanks for everyones input!!!

Ride safe!!

JRS -

> It does work fine if you clean your filter regular and don't let your bike sit

> long.

I agree.

> But I believe filter oil adds life to the filter and engine alike. It is sticky,

> more than motor oil. Motor oil works good, but it won't last long. If you

> leave your bike parked very long you will have trouble. Motor oil drains off

> of the element leaving spots of the foam dry where dirt will go through.

I am not sure that is true. I think capillary action/adhesion/cohesion/whatever helps oil remain in the pores of a foam filter for a long time. How long is long I do not know. Anything over a year would be a long time to me.

> Foam filter oil will stay on the element for a long time maybe even years?

> And the element will still be moist to the touch. Remember, the oil stops

> the dirt, the filter just holds the oil!

The small pores and circuitous passageways in a foam filter AND the oil work together to prevent small particles from passing through. A dry foam filter is definitely not as effective as an oiled foam filter. An oiled foam filter is more effective than an oiled gauze filter. Maybe that is why K&N now uses oiled foam "prefilters" over their oiled gauze filters.

> Anything is better than a dry filter. Don't even think to start the engine

> without some kind of oil on the filter. And don't try WD 40!!

I agree. A cheap and effective filter oil might be chain saw chain oil now sold in bulk by Mallwart. It contains a thickening additive that remains after some of the volatiles in the oil have evaporated.

The important thing that I think we agree on is how important a properly maintained air filter is to the life of an engine. Clean and oil the filter often. Suzuki made it an easy task on the DR650. No reason not to.

Rick

What that Harley Hog wouldn't go through the mud ?

congpho6.jpg

Maybe you just wasen't goin' fast enough like this 'ol timer ?

52_Harley.jpg

But any who,

I have used the K&N stuff for years,,, good stuff !

Still the sticky red stuff just like the old days in the Chevys.....

Kind of messy but sure does stick good !

air-filter-oil.jpg

Motor oil vs. filter oil ?

Clean filter oiled with motor oil - 4-6 weeks later I have oil puddled in the bottom of the air filter box.

Clean filter oiled with Twin-Air oil - never seen a drop of oil in the bottom of the airbox.

Some might say I used too much motor oil and that is why it drained off. Possibly, but I don't recall squeezing any more/less that I do with the Twin-Air stuff.

P.S. The Twin-Air oil, in the can, has the viscosity of water, much thinner than any other oil I've used. When the volatiles evaporate the oil thickens up quite nice and is super tacky.

well....I bought the No toil kit.....cleaner, filter oil, and the green goop for better surface conact between the filter and the box.....man what a messy job. Doable ...but messy....on to the next thing...what ever that may be??

You are putting the clean, dry filter in a one gallon zip-lock baggie then pouring some No-Toil filter oil in it and sealing up the bag to work the oil through the filter right? Make sure you burp a bit of the air out before you start working the baggie to get the oil distributed around evenly.? I re-use my baggie until the seal finally won't stay shut while I'm working the oil into the filter.

Hmm with that water crossing yesterday...should I be worried about my spark plug???

So here is the water crossing that I stalled the bike in. Got off the bike after it would not start....and had 2 push it out. Water was up to my hip....:applause:

Larrysoon2bestuckinwater.jpg

Hey...I am new to this stuff...but man it was fun!!!

You forgot the extended snorkel!? If you plan on a lot of water crossings like that one you need to extend your carb vent lines up under the tank on a high part of the frame with tees to keep from drawing water into the carb workings. NOT going fast enough to pull a water skier behind you would also help out it the drown out situations. :eek: