Sign in to follow this  

5yr old dies his first time at track...

What a tragedy........ I am really at a loss for words. Dav if you can obtain the contact information for the family let me know. When I get it together I can make contact with them to see if I can be of some assistance.

I will keep the Fidler family in my prayers..........

Wade and Michelle Fidler

320 Cedar Brook Dr.

Kannapolis, NC 28051

Like his father,

boy loved dirt bikes

Death of 5-year-old puts attention on sport where kids ride fast

APRIL BETHEA AND KYTJA WEIR

abethea@charlotteobserver.com

Cody FidlerCody Fidler loved dirt bikes.

His first ride came at six weeks old when dad Wade held him in an arm. At three, Cody got his own motorized minibike. A month ago, he started competing at Motocross tracks.

On Saturday, the 5-year-old preschooler was on his third practice round at the Parker Valley Motorsports Park in Cleveland County when he fell. As he tried to get up, his father said, a 12-year-old biker crashed onto him.

Cody, who was wearing a helmet, died of trauma to his neck.

The Fidler family, who live in Kannapolis, said Sunday they don't blame the older biker for the accident, but said the bigger bikes shouldn't have been on the track at the same time as Cody.

"This may have been an accident," said Cody's mother, Michelle. "But it could have been prevented."

Cody was part of a popular and sometimes controversial sport, where racers can start on motorized bikes before they start school and work up to bigger machines, even business sponsorships, in grade school.

There were four divisions of riders at Saturday's practice event sponsored by JMX Racing. Each division got its own turn on the track.

Cody was in the youngest division with kids on the smallest bikes. Cody rode a bike with a 50cc engine, capable of a maximum of about 30 mph.

But during Cody's run about 20 kids on bigger 85cc bikes -- two divisions higher than Cody's -- were also on the track, said Tammie Kolasinski, whose son was also on the track.

Parents noticed the older kids, but organizers didn't take them off the track.

Kolasinski said 85cc bikes typically are ridden by 12- or 13-year-olds, or advanced younger kids. The bike seats are about 3 feet off the ground.

By comparison, the seat on Cody's KTM Mini Adventurer is about a foot lower.

Kolasinski said the other biker had just gone down a hill and over another hump when he hit Cody. She said he may have been going up to 50 miles per hour and couldn't have stopped in time.

"Once a child is in the air, you pretty much have no control," she said.

Joe Williams, who runs JMX Racing, did not return calls Sunday. A statement on the organization's Web site offered "sincere sympathy, condolences, and prayers" for Cody.

Crystal Hutchins, whose 9-year-old son also practiced on the track that day, said Williams was "beside himself" after the wreck.

"I have never seen him put any child in harm's way," she said.

Popular, controversial

Motocross racing is a popular and controversial sport.The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents not allow children to ride off-road motorcycles or all-terrain vehicles until age 16.

After a 15-year-old boy was killed at a Motocross track while riding a four-wheel ATV, Connecticut officials in 2001 threatened tracks with felony charges if they let anyone under 16 ride. Connecticut officials warned children shouldn't be riding on such tracks.

North Carolina enacted tougher laws on all-terrain vehicles in 2005, restricting those under 16 from riding larger-model ATVs.

But that doesn't cover motorbikes. State law says riders of such bikes must be at least 16 years old if they are riding on public roadways. Tracks, however, aren't included.

On Sunday, parents said they realize the risks involved.

"You've always got a fear behind you, but you don't expect this," Kolasinski said. "They're out there to have fun and enjoy what they're doing."

Hutchins said safety is a top concern for parents, who teach kids to move out of the way when they fall.

"This is just a freak accident," Hutchins said of Cody's death. "It doesn't happen, probably one in a million. He had all the proper attire."

First time at track

Saturday was Cody's first time at Parker Valley, about 50 miles west of Charlotte. He tried racing for the first time nearly a month ago in Society Hill, S.C., but he didn't know how to ride in the deep sand. Cody got a bigger, $1,700 bike March 1.

Wade Fidler heard about JMX Racing's events and said the family liked that there was a division for beginners. Both Wade and Michelle Fidler have bikes.

Like many parents, Wade Fidler was on the track Saturday to help pick up kids if they fell, which Cody did a few times as he tried to get used to the hilly terrain.

"He was grinning ear to ear riding around the track," Kolasinski said.

The Fidlers didn't see the last fall. But they rushed to their son when they heard screams.

Wade Fidler and an emergency medical worker tried to perform CPR while another parent called for an ambulance. Cody was pronounced dead at Cleveland Regional Medical Center.

A viewing is set for 6 to 8 p.m. tonight at Raymer Funeral Home, 16901 Old Statesville Road in Huntersville. A funeral is planned for 2 p.m. Tuesday.

The preschooler's bike will be next to his casket during the services, and his racing pants and gloves will be buried with him.

Motocross

A single race, or "moto,'' may field between 15 and 35 competitors. A course spans three-fourths of a mile to a mile, and one race usually covers four laps. Some bikes can reach 60 mph, and it takes around two minutes to cover the winding and hilly course

Isaiah813,

I appreciate the contact information. I have located the phone number and I will contact them. To all those who are praying for the Fidler family keep it up - it helps even when those who are being prayed for may not feel it.

Sincerely,

Mike Berg

"Motodad393"

Like you guys, I'm just at loss of wrods for this. Sympathy, condolences, etc, just don't seem like enough. My grandson is 4 y/o and his dad and I have talked about a bike for him. Whenever he goes to the bike shop with one of us, he runs right over to where all the PW50s and the like are.

I was standing next to my son's stretcher in the ER when he was 15 and arrested ( bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax, dave), and I have never felt such an empty hollow feeling.

Like you guys, I'm just at loss of wrods for this. Sympathy, condolences, etc, just don't seem like enough. My grandson is 4 y/o and his dad and I have talked about a bike for him. Whenever he goes to the bike shop with one of us, he runs right over to where all the PW50s and the like are.

I was standing next to my son's stretcher in the ER when he was 15 and arrested ( bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax, dave), and I have never felt such an empty hollow feeling.

wow...hopefully he got a couple of chest tubes really quickly! Did he survive? :applause:

Some of the fastest, no anesthetic chest tubes I'd seen put in! He was in the 50/50 club on his last ABG's...PCO2-50's; PO2 also in 50's before he arrested (intubated, bagging with 100% O2). Two days on a vent , 12 days in ICU. One never fully inflated and the other, inflated but collapsed everytime they tried to clamp off the chest tube. Had bilat pleurectomy/pleurodysis....has a chest full of scars. SPent a total of 32 days in hosptial.

He's asthamtic and they were treating him as a status, thuogh he had never been status or even hospitalized for his asthma before. No CXR. Finally intubated him and got a CXR for tube placement. Tech came running into teh room with the films just as he arrested. Rt lung fully collapsed, left, 80% collapsed. Thankfully the tube didn't go down teh rt mainstem.

My deepest sympathy to the family, I have a 6 and 9 year old and it's always at the back of your mind when they get on a trail or track. There are not the ward to discribe this horrible accident.

A friend of mine who lives in NC mentioned this accident the other day. He's not into dirt bikes and was completely mystified by how any parent could allow such a young child to ride. Knowing how many very young children do ride, and what a wonderful experience it is for them, I defended that choice.

Over the last couple of days, though, I've begun to wonder. At some age, we become responsible for the choices we make. So if I choose to ride, knowing the dangers involved, it is a risk I knowingly and "responsibly" make.

But allowing children to ride is a different matter. You can't say that a 5 year old comprehends the risks and is choosing for him/herself.

And if that's the case, then at what age would you draw line?

I certainly don't have any answers. If my child was that young, I'd probably encourage him to ride. But I could see why other people might not think that is responsible.

Earlier this morning I spoke with Wade Fidler. As one would expect it is pretty rough for them right now. We spoke for about a hour and they are super good people. Cody had a large following in his area.

Please keep Wade and Michelle in your prayers. The days ahead will bring challenges. We spoke of "Cody(s) Rule" which is an excellent idea. I will let them tell you all about it when they are ready. Wade did tell me that he was amazed by the support coming from the MX/Off-Road riders. You folks are super. It is hard to explain how much this support means to a family trying to adjust to a loss like this.

There is a fund raiser being put together. The information is available at JMXracing.com

Thanks for being there for the Fidler family.:applause: There is NO FINER group of people that those who ride!

MIke Berg

"Motodad393"

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Fidlers. Godspeed Cody.

Here is a poster with Cody's Rules, (this has been approved by the family).

Cody_small.jpg

Wow, this is very sad. This is my first time visiting this forum, and it is overwhelming. Looking around at the other threads, I see a 5 year old, a 7 year old, and a 12 year old that died recently. This was all due to bigger, faster, more agressive riders that hit them. This is very sad indeed. I hope that "Cody's Rules" can be used in more places.

Sadly, this isnt confined to tracks. I thank God everyday the guy that hit me on the trails didnt hit a kid, as Im pretty sure a kid would have been killed. I hope this thread serves as a lesson to all those who read it. We all have to do our part to make it safe, especially for these little ones. My heart goes out to Codys family. I have a 5 year old, I cant imagine living without her.

My prayers are being sent up for both kids involved. The older kid who hit him should be in our thoughts too. Thats alot to live with especially at that age.

Although my prayers go out to his family, and i'm not sure how the practices were set up, i believe that some part is the parents responsiblility.

At tracks i've been to, after all of the different classes have gone, i.e. 50 class, 60 class, 80's, and so on, they hold an open practice where everyone can go out, even quads! i think it's redicoulous that any parent would let there kid go out on open practice when they're that little and expect it to be safe. when i was 4, i watched a kid get paralyzed as he got landed on in open practice by a quad rider that didnt see him in between a double. it goes to show you that it's not always safe, but if the parent can limit the riding to only 50cc bikes or say a 4-7 age group is on the track at a given time, it would be alot safer.

ok, that was alot, hopefully it makes sense

If a parent has NO experience around MX tracks, perhaps - just perhaps this could be hard to fathom happening. At 15 life seem easy and things appear to be clear. As you age you will become more knowledgeable and if you do it right this knowledge can be turned into wisdom. It is my hope that you never experience this type of pain and that you learn compassion for those who's life is changed forever. This is not about blame, nor should it be. All of our efforts should be focused on safety and preventing anyone [parent and/or sibling] from living with this unbelievable anguish. Lotten454 life is not cut and dry! :applause:

Although my prayers go out to his family, and i'm not sure how the practices were set up, i believe that some part is the parents responsiblility.

At tracks i've been to, after all of the different classes have gone, i.e. 50 class, 60 class, 80's, and so on, they hold an open practice where everyone can go out, even quads! i think it's redicoulous that any parent would let there kid go out on open practice when they're that little and expect it to be safe. when i was 4, i watched a kid get paralyzed as he got landed on in open practice by a quad rider that didnt see him in between a double. it goes to show you that it's not always safe, but if the parent can limit the riding to only 50cc bikes or say a 4-7 age group is on the track at a given time, it would be alot safer.

ok, that was alot, hopefully it makes sense

motodad393, I understand stuff happens and please I am in no way pointing fingers or making any accusations. Lotten454 had a point I wanted to touch on. Some people lack common sense, even with their own kids, or as you said it could be their lack knowledge. Based on that, the tracks operators should have policy and rules to protect people from themselves and/or a parent’s lack of common sense, poor decisions, or lack of knowledge. Do you know how much tracks modify their policy based on these kinds of things happening? Is there a regulating body or a basic set of standards for them to operate by or is it a free for all? It seems to me the tracks have an obligation to provide a reasonably safe environment, as safe as an MX track could be anyways? I'm sure most do. As I said, I am pointing no fingers at anyone including the track.

This is crazy, my son is 2 and it makes me think twice about getting him involved in the sport. 5 is just to young to die... No 12 y/o should have been in with a 5 y/o. This is very sad.