Sign in to follow this  

fouled plug

The title pretty much says it all. My NGK is fouled *haven't changed the plug since I purchased the bike* What plug do you guys recommend for a yz426? thanks

if u have the manual...it might list the hotter plug ....other than that i would suggest checking the carb..and buy the stock plug

if you haven't changed it since new, I would be really happy w/ how long it lasted, I think they are the NGK iridium ones, just pick up another one of them.

if you haven't changed it since new, I would be really happy w/ how long it lasted, I think they are the NGK iridium ones, just pick up another one of them.

well I've only had the bike for two years...so I know the plug is at least that old. I'll probably just pick up another one of the same NGK plugs...since it has the part # on the plug I shouldn't have any problems finding another one. I just didn't know if there are much better plugs than NGK.

Nah, if your plug lasted you 2+ years you should be extremely happy. Just go buy more of the same (because obviously something is right) and it's not a bad idea to keep one with you out on the trail :applause:

so my NGK is the standard CR8E plug for my 426. Should I go to the Iridium? thanks

If they have the iridium option, it would last longer, but that is the only advantage to iridium, the CR8E would still be great, it lasted you 2+ years, what have you got to complain about?

Just get a new one so you can get out riding again! :lol::applause:

If they have the iridium option, it would last longer, but that is the only advantage to iridium, the CR8E would still be great, it lasted you 2+ years, what have you got to complain about?

Just get a new one so you can get out riding again! :lol::applause:

cool...I was just wondering if the Iridium offers a little better performance.

I found some of the NGK CR8E's at Pep Boys and I’m gonna pick them up after work. Besides anti-seize on the plug threads and gapping the plug is there anything else I need to do while replacing the plug? I've heard of people putting some grease type stuff or something like that in the spark plug boot for better seal/conductivity....that doesn't sound right to me.

on my 1973 i use to have to change the plug almost daily... it would foul, but then again, the bike is a 2 stroke

but then again, the bike is a 2 stroke

but then again it was 1973. modern 2-strokes don't foul plugs unless something is seriously wrong. i have observed more fouled 4-stroke plugs (usually on 426's, oddly enough) than 2-stroke plugs the last couple years. wonder what the story is. old bikes with worn rings?

-mark (1 fouled 2-stroke plug in 18,000 miles, due to a smashed pipe)

but then again it was 1973. modern 2-strokes don't foul plugs unless something is seriously wrong. i have observed more fouled 4-stroke plugs (usually on 426's, oddly enough) than 2-stroke plugs the last couple years. wonder what the story is. old bikes with worn rings?

-mark (1 fouled 2-stroke plug in 18,000 miles, due to a smashed pipe)

The primary reasons that the old 2 strokes fouled plugs were that they had lower compression ratios and used up to twice the oil mix ratios. 20:1 was a fairly common ratio. On the older 1950s and early 60s outboard boat motors, 1 quart to 5 or 6 gallons was common. talk about 2 smokes The motor oils used a lot of paraffin (derived from crude oil and used in the making of candles) which plated out in the carburators and stopped up the jets in a very short period of time. Pulling apart a carburator was a monthly occurrance.:applause:

• Like 1