KTM Parts Availability Sucks!

I know I'll get flamed for this but it's just ridiculous. I live in SoCal, and I've visited 3 of the biggest KTM dealerships here and I can't get a damn oil filter for 07 450SX. I mean Socal is the the center of MX. It's really poor planning to not have such a basic item available in this area. In addition, I have to buy a 12mm allen wrench also to change the oil. 12mm! What da heck. I ended having to go to Sears and they had 1 wrech left. You can forget your typical local auto parts place for a 12mm allen.

Well there it is. You guys who love working on your KTM's, hat's off to you. I'd take working on a yamaha or suzuki any day. If I didn't really like the bike, I'd just say screw it and sell it.

sorry to hear that , i work for a lexus dealer and there the same way, we had new model cars come out that we could`nt change the filter there were a few that just got a oil change. alot of times its the dealer they do not want to stock items unless there is strong demand, it`s all about the money for dealers. ktmhutt is great. i also order alot of after market stuff through the kawasaki dealer next door!lol never had any problems with parts

Funny, my tool kit came with just about every tool I need to do maintenance and tear down the bike. I don't use them for that, but they are there, even the torx bit for the subframe.

Your title should read " my local KTM dealer parts availability sucks". I am sure KTM has plenty of filters, as well as aftermarket companies.

where are you at in SoCal..im here 2, and 3 Brothers Racing stocks more parts for KTM then Honda does BY FAR!!! thats why i m getting a KTM in a week, instead of Honda, not to mention KTM's kill Honda, motor wise, suspension wise this year, truns on a dime, light, nimble, flickable, but thats the 250f, not the 450 like your talking about

Funny how dealers dont have squat for ya but complain that they arent selling s*** because they are loosing to online business. I do all my shopping on line instead of at the dealer. My ktm guy knows i only come in and ask prices on things so i can say Damn i found that on like for half the price and free shipping!

For everyone suggesting online, I appreciate the advice. At this rate I'll have to. It's just sometimes I just like to go to a dealership without planning ahead and just get a part. I guess since KTM is bigger offroad than in MX maybe parts availability is better out midwest and east. Who knows...

In fact I finally did get the oil filter from 3bros, but I should have already had it after going to Malcom Smith Racing, Chaparral, and Mission Motorsports. These are BIG dealerships. They should have an oil filter. I bet you I could go to the smallest Honda dealer in the country and find a crf450 filter.

As far as the 12mm allen, if I have to go to 2 auto parts stores, a hw store and then Sears, that's too oddball a size for me for an oil change. You can't convince me that's a common tool but I guess I expected at least one flame so this hasn't gone too bad.

All American KTM in Ramona CA. 1-877-ride-ktm has every thing in stock for your bike. They are running a 5 man supercross lites team on the 250sxf and have every nut and bolt for that bike. Every thing in stock, great prices, great to deal with, great web site. easy decision. I have been using the K&N #155 oil filter in my 07 250sxf with no problems

I agree.

3rd gear busted in my 07. I have been waiting 4 months for the parts to come in. And the worst part, it was KTM's fault and they agreed to cover it under warranty. I would think they would be quick to cover one of their mistakes, but they dont seem too worried about it. If they dont have the parts basically what they are saying is; they arent building any new bikes and their race teams dont have any new gears for their race bikes.

Im not mad at them in anyway really. But i had a big riding trip planned so i found a great deal on 06 crf 250 that was ridden once in a field so i bought it to ride til i got my sxf back. Needless to say, i fell in love with the honda and im going to keep riding it when i get the sxf back, and probably end up selling the sxf. For 08 im probably gonna be riding another brand new honda, or possible a RMZ instead of a ktm.

• 1 month later...

In fact I finally did get the oil filter from 3bros, but I should have already had it after going to Malcom Smith Racing, Chaparral, and Mission Motorsports. These are BIG dealerships. They should have an oil filter.

based on what i've read here (i've never been in any of those 3 dealerships), those dealerships suck. that's your problem. as others have mentioned, don't blame ktm, blame those lameass dealers. there are many ktm dealers that have excellent parts availability all the time. cyclezone in topeka, nms in reno, and my local motosports in boise are among my favorites.

fwiw, the local suzuki dealer didn't have a front sprocket for a dr650 in stock. &%$#@! is up with that? luckily, if you get stuck with a worthless dealer, online is available, or just phone up a real dealership and have them ship to you.

I know what you mean with the 12 mm allen wrench.

I went to Ace Hardware, Sears, Lowe's, O'Riley's, and finally NAPA before I found one!

At least your dealership didn't sell you the wrong filter AND a second filter thats not needed.

I'll be ordering my parts on-line...just like I did with my Jap bikes.