Sign in to follow this  

My son's first ride...

Well, I finally got off my butt and took my 7 yr old riding for the first time. He's had a little battery powered street bike that he's been riding, but he's been bothering me to take him to the desert. So, I borrowed a friend's CRF50 as well as his XR100 and headed out. I took the XR100 so I could putt around behind the little guy without having to ride my 2 smoke in 1st all day.

Anyway, I took him to El Mirage since I've heard it was a good place to learn. I figured it was going to be busy but we'd probably just be doing laps around the truck. I was wrong. After some short lecture the boy was off and running. I couldn't get my gear on fast enough before he was headed off down the lakebed. I was surprised that he was able to control the throttle and brake so good for his first time. He stopped when and where I told him and had no problems starting again.

I had him ride w/ tennis shoes for his first day so he could get used to the feel of the rear brake. Next ride will be w/ boots. Also I had a chest protector for him, but it just fell right off of him.

So, I figured one of two things could happen. 1. He'd be bored by lunch and wanting to go home; or 2. Not ever want to stop. I was blessed w/ #2. I couldn't pry him off the bike! I told him we had to leave at 3 pm to get home for dinner and he whined, "awwww.... we have three more hours", as he wrung out his sore arms and hands!

He had a great day. He only fell about 4 times and that was due to deep sand and small tires. He bounced up each time and hopped back on.

Here are a few photos. My wife and I agreed that we'd buy him a used bike for his birthday. We're looking at used CRF50s or XR50s. The PWs seem a bit small and I don't want to buy a new TTR. He's still too short for the KLX110, so I figure the 50 will be good for maybe a year and then get passed to his sister.

natedb3.JPG

natedb2.JPG

natedb1.JPG

(ignore the date in the photos... I'm too lazy to change it)

Well, I'm sure nobody really cares about my kid's newfound hobby, but I was so pumped I had to share. Cheers!

• Like 1

I dunno, me and the wife just read this and thought...how cool is that..!!!

Get him a bike...:applause:

BTW, I'm heading out to El M Tues.

Ur a cool dad, I wish i was able to get into the sport that young. I know i always wanted to.

Yeah, my wife and I were talking about this. When I was a kid it was "hell or high water" before my folks would get me a bike, much less let me ride my friend's (I did anyway). So the wife and I figure it's not spoiling him if we make him earn riding time. We'll get him the bike and let it motivate him to perform better in school (he's been having issues). I decided to give up a new exhaust for my Ducati so we can afford his bike. I'm looking now.

I dunno, me and the wife just read this and thought...how cool is that..!!!

Get him a bike...:applause:

BTW, I'm heading out to El M Tues.

Thanks. El Mirage was a zoo by mid-day, but I'd like to go back on a weekday w/ my bike and do some exploring. I usally ride Johnson Valley or Baldy Mesa, but EM was a fairly easy drive from OC and looked to be some good riding when the crowds are away.

Thanks. El Mirage was a zoo by mid-day, but I'd like to go back on a weekday w/ my bike and do some exploring. I usally ride Johnson Valley or Baldy Mesa, but EM was a fairly easy drive from OC and looked to be some good riding when the crowds are away.

Cool..the last time I was ther was 1973, I just got back in dirt riding again, so I need a easy place to get my legs under me again..lol I use to ride on the asphault tracks, i.e. willow, buttonwillow, fontana ect. gave that up, gettin to Old..haha. Oh, check the cycle trader for fiddy's, there's a Bunch of em in there..:applause:

Fantastic!!! Glad to see the little guy had fun. I remember the days. I taught my wife and two son's to ride at EM. Don't go back there much these days, but it's perfect for the little guys to get their riding mojo happening. Enjoy it while you can. Pretty soon he'll be kicking your butt and you'll be playing catchup. :applause:

:applause: Great Day! Way to go Dad! :lol:

Enjoy it now as much as you can, time sure flys! Tomorrow he'll be borrowing the car to go out on a date. :eek:

Just be careful. Be very careful. Pad him up with every item they make. Get a chest protector that fits him now............. today! Take it very slow. Years slow.

At that age my son only knew two speeds, Full Blast and Crash!

Have fun! :lol:

Good job! Remembering my youth and riding with my family brings a smile to my face everytime. I was just able to get my kids bikes late last year, and I feel they are going to remember these times with the same fondness. I find myself laughing and smiling so hard when I see them learn something out riding, that I have to pull over and put it in neutral sometimes to enjoy the moment.

You think no one would care? Got to be kidding I read a post like this and start glowing! Seems like my boys were just there but it's been a while. You're doing him a great service. I hope wifie rides also so you can have a great time together. Get all the gear, neck brace included!

Its always great reading about a kids first ride! I started riding when I was five. I was the first kid in Cincinnatti to have the then new yz50. We took it home in the back seat of the Nova! So many memories of riding with my dad as a kid and I want my kids to have the same.

I got my oldest (4 1/2) a pw50 for Xmas and is all set up with the training wheels and throttle restrict. He has all the gear, helmet, neck brace, chest protector, knee and elbow pads and boots. The only thing he won't wear is the boots. They come right up to his knees and are a bit uncomfortable for him, maybe by summer with a few more inches of growth they will fit him better.

We have been going to Amago, the local MX track here in San Diego and they have an old kart track that has a kids track built on top of it. He still mostly rides around the pavement area but started going through a flat section of the kids track this weekend.

My 2 1/2 year old decided he wanted to try yesterday so I put all the gear on him and was walking along side the bike just turning the throttle a little to make him go. It only took a few minutes for him to realize what the throttle did so he reaches up and grabs a handful of throttle and starts to take off. Luckily I had quick enough reaction to just grab the tail of the bike and lift the rear wheel in the air. I hit the kill switch and look him in the face and he is all smiles. Little monster. :applause:

Awesome! Yeah I said Awesome beause when that term was "in" I took my 5 year old son out to El Mirage on an LEM 50 w/auto clutch. We have never looked back...

Well, I finally got off my butt and took my 7 yr old riding for the first time. He's had a little battery powered street bike that he's been riding, but he's been bothering me to take him to the desert. So, I borrowed a friend's CRF50 as well as his XR100 and headed out. I took the XR100 so I could putt around behind the little guy without having to ride my 2 smoke in 1st all day.

Anyway, I took him to El Mirage since I've heard it was a good place to learn. I figured it was going to be busy but we'd probably just be doing laps around the truck. I was wrong. After some short lecture the boy was off and running. I couldn't get my gear on fast enough before he was headed off down the lakebed. I was surprised that he was able to control the throttle and brake so good for his first time. He stopped when and where I told him and had no problems starting again.

I had him ride w/ tennis shoes for his first day so he could get used to the feel of the rear brake. Next ride will be w/ boots. Also I had a chest protector for him, but it just fell right off of him.

So, I figured one of two things could happen. 1. He'd be bored by lunch and wanting to go home; or 2. Not ever want to stop. I was blessed w/ #2. I couldn't pry him off the bike! I told him we had to leave at 3 pm to get home for dinner and he whined, "awwww.... we have three more hours", as he wrung out his sore arms and hands!

He had a great day. He only fell about 4 times and that was due to deep sand and small tires. He bounced up each time and hopped back on.

Here are a few photos. My wife and I agreed that we'd buy him a used bike for his birthday. We're looking at used CRF50s or XR50s. The PWs seem a bit small and I don't want to buy a new TTR. He's still too short for the KLX110, so I figure the 50 will be good for maybe a year and then get passed to his sister.

Well, I'm sure nobody really cares about my kid's newfound hobby, but I was so pumped I had to share. Cheers!

That couldn't be further from the truth. As a new Dad, I am so excited for you and your son! How cool it will be when I can do the same thing with my daughter. :applause:

Tim

Just a side note the Kids stuff. I'm others will agree. Spend as much time, and do as much as you can with them, as they grow up way to fast.

BTW, Sully, is that you on a speedway bike..? (avatar)

Great pics. My son is 5 and enjoying the heck out of a PW50. The only thing i would highly suggest is to get him the proper riding pants , boots, chest protector , elbow and knee pads and neck pad. Well worth the money. If he has a hard fall, besides the fact that he may get hurt, he will fear riding and getting back on the bike. Protection is key in this sport!! Let him ride fully protected, he will from these day's on, alwayes ride with all his gear on.

Great pics. My son is 5 and enjoying the heck out of a PW50. The only thing i would highly suggest is to get him the proper riding pants , boots, chest protector , elbow and knee pads and neck pad. Well worth the money. If he has a hard fall, besides the fact that he may get hurt, he will fear riding and getting back on the bike. Protection is key in this sport!! Let him ride fully protected, he will from these day's on, alwayes ride with all his gear on.

Yep, I'm big on safety gear. I had a chest protector that looked like it was small enough for him, but when I put it on it simply fell off his shoulders. So, he rode w/ elbow pad and helmet for that day, and that day only. As soon as I get his bike we'll be getting him geared up, well before the next ride. The bike and gear I had were borrowed, so not personalized.

Right on pa,I started my son at 6 or 7?It was a happy day when my son came to me asking for a dirtbike.At the time I wasnt even riding and havent for years so I sold the harley got a couple bikes and we have been sharing quality time ever cence.Riding the bikes even helped with my son's progress with the family sport of barefoot skiing.He's almost 15 now and riding my bootie.I would say the best thing I did in the begining was to start him off on a JR80,2 stroke.This bike does not have reeds or the hot exhaust but does have a cluch.When the other dads wher selling ther 50's with the auto tranni then having to re-teach the kid how to ride my son was blazing black dimond trails on his kx65 because he already new about working the cluch.My son is not a agressive rider and does not care for racing MX but will hit any trail I do and when he cant make it I'm there to help.I dont get that chance as much anymore.