Sign in to follow this  

Put on trail tech and now won't start

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I switched out my stock flywheel on my 04 and replaced it with a trailtech 13oz flywheel. I started one day, needed to get a new gasket, and finished the next day. So for about a day my bike was laying on its side without oil. After getting it all back together, it was pretty difficult to kick around the motor. I figure the oil went places it wasn't supposed to while on it side for so long. So after kicking it for a while slowly, turning the motor felt smooth and normal again. So I prime it, pull the choke, and give a kick. Nothing. I do this for a while, with the choke, without the choke, giving it more gas, not giving it gas. Everything I could think of. Usually my bike is a 1-2 kicker when its cold. A couple of times it would fire for one cycle but not continue to run, and that was with the choke and without the choke on. I guess I don't know where to go. Should I pull the plug, could it be fouled? Do I have a bad flywheel? Could the valves be causing this problem somehow? I am just frustrated. Any advised would be great.

I appreciate this site and the info I am able to learn here. Thanks

Keith

unless you drained the carb you probably fuel soaked the plug. first thing that comes to mind. check it and let us know

I had the same issue with my flywheel install. It was very hard to turn over the first few times I tried. It eventually loosend up and turned over for me after about 10 tries.

I would pull the plug and take a look, it may have gotten oil on it when you had the bike on it's side. It only takes a drop to create problems.

Also, you didn't disconnect the stator or cut the wires accidentally inside the crank cover, did you? Just a thought.

Other than those 2 issues the bike should start. Tilt it over on it's crank side (left) and let the gas drain out of the carb and try to start it again.

Don't worry, it'll start. :applause:

i drained my oil and yanked the side cover with the bike on the stand. it was timed and done during a routine oil change.

There have been problems with the TT flywheels before. I suggest you take it off and put the OEM one back on. If that cures it contact TT, they have great customer service and will correct the problem.

Thank you for your replies. All I did with the stator was flip the side cover over and placed it up on the engine block out of the way. I will give a another try this afternoon. If it still doesn't fire, I'll pull the plug. If that checks out, then I guess next is put the OEM back on and see unless anyone else has any ideas. Thanks again

Thank you for your replies. All I did with the stator was flip the side cover over and placed it up on the engine block out of the way. I will give a another try this afternoon. If it still doesn't fire, I'll pull the plug. If that checks out, then I guess next is put the OEM back on and see unless anyone else has any ideas. Thanks again

sounds like your headed in the rite direction :applause:

Nope, I got it through the Thumper Talk store here in Vegas. I also wondered if something could have backflowed in to the carb because with it sputtering makes it act almost like its not getting fuel, like the pilot circuit is plugged somewhere, somehow

sure it not a +13oz 02-03 flywheel? that one would require grinding down the inside of the case as it is actually a +17oz for the 04 up. just a thought.

Well, I drained the oil and there were all kinds of metal shavings and I thought that was weird. Took off the cover and when I took off the flywheel nut, the flywheel came right off, no puller needed. So I figure wrong size flywheel and that they gave the heaviest one that requires case modification. Well, the box says its the 04 +13oz so I guess wrong part, right box.

I put my stock flywheel back on figuring it will fire right up and nothing still. I pull the plug and it a light brown and dry. I check the valves while I'm there and decomp was a little too loose. I checked voltage at the plug wire while kicking and I got power. SOOOO, I'm thinking carb is next place to look. :applause:

I just doesn't make sense. I could understand that if that flywheel wasn't fitting right then generation would be screwed up. But with the stock back in there and no go, I just don't get it.

Anyway, I'll return the TT flywheel and exchange it for the one I want. In the meantime, what else should I look at besides the carb. I'm baffled

Well, I fixed it. Sweet. I found out that when I placed the TT, it wasn't screwed down tight enough (eventhough I checked it with a torque wrench). I tightened the nut with the impact wrench but I found out that I needed to let the impact wrench run on it maybe a total of 7-10 seconds, instead of just a second or two. There was a place where the flywheel was rubbing the case on a fin and I did relieve a bit just in case. But with that flywheel, it can idle and keep going which before without giving it gas, it would stall. In the process, I did replace the plug, check the valves, and clean the carb, which all looked fine. So I'll go test it this weekend on some rocky, nasty southern Nevada single track. Thanks for all your help

I hope the end of your crank doesnt snap off. Thats what happens when you use the impact wrench on the crank nut.

cross your fingers. If it starts running funky again, check that first...

Yes, be careful with the impact wrench. As well, this is my tool of chioce for flywheels, you just need to be careful. I use a 3/8 drive with 70psi. You can test your impact wrench torque capability to make sure it cannot exceed the torque specification.

Okay, now I'm scared. The first time I put on the flywheel, I used the torque wrench and it didn't need the puller when the nut came off. So should I redo the nut or take off the flywheel and put it back on again and check torque? I figured that was my initial problem with it not being tightened down enough.

Okay, now I'm scared. The first time I put on the flywheel, I used the torque wrench and it didn't need the puller when the nut came off. So should I redo the nut or take off the flywheel and put it back on again and check torque? I figured that was my initial problem with it not being tightened down enough.

See this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439185

And ultimately this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444785

Yowza. I really don't want to have that happen. I took of the nut, the flywheel just slide right off even after all that, then I put it on real gentle like.