Sign in to follow this  

Avoiding damage.....to much RPM?

Being new to two strokes, I'm courious, is it posible to over rev a two stroke motor. It seems that the more I let the motor rev the more it pulls but I am afraid that I will over do it and end up spending money unnessarly on repairs. I have gone from a DR 350 to a RM 125. and are these ever diferent bikes.:applause:

That is a big change in bikes! A 125 is a screamer and on a motocross track they are run at very high RPM (10K) to be at peak power. For trail riding you don't need to be as aggressive but you still need to get 'on the pipe' when you need power.

The key to riding a 125 is to keep fresh rings in it and also to change out the piston once in awhile...how much all depends on your riding style and how often you ride. Rings and pistons are a part of regular maintenance with a 125.

Let it scream for all it's worth, you aren't going to hurt it one bit. A two-stroke has no valves to float, so rpms are not damaging to the engine.

Two-strokes are wonderful, aren't they?:applause:

Thanx, the thing has been a bast, a total change, I'm using it for track riding, I will still use the dr for commuting to work and trail riding.

cheers