Sign in to follow this  

The two stroke revolution!! kidding kind of!!

It seems lately that I am reading more and more about people going back to two strokes. With great smokers like the KTM 300 and the YZ 250 I can see why.

Also it seems like guys are getting burnt out on maintaining thumpers. Adjusting valves and costly rebuilds seem to be taking a toll on riders.

I am back on a YZ 250 and really love the engine snap, easy starting, and light weight of that bike. My last topend cost $122 bucks.

I still have a thumper but it's just collecting dust. I love thumpers but all the oil changing, and valve adjusting can be a pain in the ass. God forbid a total rebuild!!! Mucho cash!!! Modern Thumpers are great bikes but aren't cheap to maintain. Who whould have ever thought that a thumper would take as much or more maintenance then a 2 stroke?

It seems lately that I am reading more and more about people going back to two strokes. With great smokers like the KTM 300 and the YZ 250 I can see why.

Also it seems like guys are getting burnt out on maintaining thumpers. Adjusting valves and costly rebuilds seem to be taking a toll on riders.

I am back on a YZ 250 and really love the engine snap, easy starting, and light weight of that bike. My last topend cost $122 bucks.

I still have a thumper but it's just collecting dust. I love thumpers but all the oil changing, and valve adjusting can be a pain in the ass. God forbid a total rebuild!!! Mucho cash!!! Modern Thumpers are great bikes but aren't cheap to maintain. Who whould have ever thought that a thumper would take as much or more maintenance then a 2 stroke?

I do miss my 01 CR250, but i dont miss the fuel mileage. I like the fact that with a 3.2 gal tank i can go 100 miles, and stop at any store and fill up again. I kind of wish i would have just kept the 01 but i am very happy with my 450X. My CR250 would go about 60 miles on a 3.7gal. I was always worrying about gas and hated carrying it. I personally have no regets going to the X and i am very happy with the change. The magic button and kick stand are nice too. Maybe one day i will own another one along side my 450. As for the Maint. part, i kind of enjoy it. So far my 450X has not cost hardly anything to maintain, well not any more than my CR250 did. Just routine Maint. so far ~ Scott

Good take I can get about 70-75 miles and that is with a Clarke 3 gallon tank on my 02 YZ 250.

Four strokes will get better mpg. My WR 426 with a Clarke 3.2 could easily do 90 miles.

Husky and Husaberg valves never move, super easy to check.

Have one of each, they both have areas that they excel, I love my 2 stroke for tight technical terrain, my 4 stroke for open fast stuff and play riding.

Having grown up racing the smokers I am still partial to my 2 stroke, an 05 TM 300. I do still long for the arm ripping hp of my old 490 Maicos. Ive got a 06 450 Berg and an 05 510 Husky that is plated. Both really cool bikes but different. Fun in the desert, fireroads ect. I still cant stand the compression braking of either 4t. Tried a rekluse and didnt care for that either. I really dont mind the maintence of the 4ts, but love the simplicity of working on the smoker. 08 TM's look absolutly trick. Time for another 2t is rapidly approching.:applause:

All I have done is check my valves change the oil and filter new plug every now and again my 02 WR 426 has been AWESOME!!!Coming off a KX 250 took a little getting used too but way different power delivery.I still like 2-strokes though nice and light instant power.

I rode as a kid and into my early 20s in the dirt on Yamaha 2 strokes. Just getting back into the dirt again 20 years later and am now on a 07 YZ 250. I have set it up for an old slow guy like me and I love it. I hope the 2 strokes stick around a long time before they become extinct.

I bet the two stroke guys i rode with this weekend are shoppin' for 4's. They rode new yz250's. They said they would take it easy on me because my bike looks like it must weigh in at 500 pounds (DRZ400). At the end of the day they were saying, "So what I have to get a 4-stroke to go that fast.":p

Husky and Husaberg valves never move, super easy to check.

Why would you HAVE to check if they never move???

:applause:

Why would you HAVE to check if they never move???

:applause:

Maybe he has a surplus of pencils he needs to get rid of.