Sign in to follow this  

new to 2 stroke yz's

hi all just sold my 99 yzf400 and picked up a 2000 yz250:ride: what can i say other than they are awsome, i should of done it ages ago easy to start no valves to worry about and cheapish if it goes bang,oh and the sweet smell of premix,anything i should be aware of on the 2000 model,any common faults on this year cheerz:thumbsup:

hi all just sold my 99 yzf400 and picked up a 2000 yz250:ride: what can i say other than they are awsome, i should of done it ages ago easy to start no valves to worry about and cheapish if it goes bang,oh and the sweet smell of premix,anything i should be aware of on the 2000 model,any common faults on this year cheerz:thumbsup:

Congrats on the 2fiddy. Don't know any real faults but I would check these.

Check all suspension components. steering head bearings, swingarm bearings

lower linkage bearings, if there's any signs of rust replace and grease all.

Check/clean carb.

Check/clean carb.

A little TLC will go a long way in your enjoyment of your new ride. Long live the 2 stroke!

Whoop!

Paul

Check/clean carb.

check all greasible parts for sure I have a 05 and had to replace all the suspension bearings not that fun

Also grease the main swing arm bolt. The big one that holds the rear of the motor. They can get stuck if you dont keep them lubed.

thanx people ill get right on it,i still cant get over the power delivery of these,my left arm is bandaged at the mo due to a flipping incident luckily the bikes not damaged. and the best part of it was i picked the bike up first kick and she fired, i love 2 strokes

i just picked up a 2000 yz250 and i love it. started on a drz400, got the 250 to bang around on and push the envelope with and it's everything I wanted and more...

very surprised at the power delivery of these compared to 4 strokes, it just hits, only had it out twice and still learning how the bike handles. Went over bike checking everything, hoses, cable play, etc.. look for signs of improper care asked previous owner what maintenance they performed and how often. As soon as I picked the bike up I just replaced all the fluids short of that it hasn't needed anything.