Sign in to follow this  

02 Start Sputter After Rebuild

I just rebuilt my 02'. New Top End, gaskets and head rebuilt w/ new valve,. Reshimmed to factory specs, along with decompressor. It initially started well, I ran it for 20 mins. Restarted it a week later with minimal kicks. I let it sit for about 6 weeks without starting. Cold climate, below freezing etc. I went to start it this weekend and it woud'nt start. I put some starting fluid in carb, it fired up, sputtered, popped, then stalled after about 4 mins run time. I Restarted it without starting fluid this time, same thing. Then after sitting 10 mins it would'nt start at all. I cannot get it started now even with the starting fluid. It has plenty of spark. I started messing with the mixture screw, have it at about 1.5 turns out.. Tried a few different settings with this.

What shall I try next? Does it require reshimming after I ran it for a total of 25 mins? Carb dirty? Air cleaner and all that are all good. Troubleshooting guide says check compression.. I just rebuilt it and it seems tight to the kick... getting a little frustrated so any advice would be great.

Thank you.

wick the throttle about 4-6 times choke no throttle tdc and kick. if this doesn't work check to see if your pilot is stopped up. also make sure your hot start is seated