Sign in to follow this  

Wayback Machine 2

I've been going through old Trail Rider Mags and I'm up to the early nineties. I'm reading a test of '91 Husky 350WXE 4 stroke and 260WXE cheater open bike('92 will be first 360). I haven't seen much Husky bashing or the usual they're not real Huskys stuff pop up here lately. Anyway, a '91 were the first really new Huskys since the Cagiva buyout and they would totally revise them again in '92, serious people. I can remember DR and DB test from the same period, same BS we get today. Clipper and TR has always told it like it is. Here's the opening to the test article.

" Most Husky tests these days start with an explanation of how Husky started, what it used to be, how it was purchased by an Italian company and how hurt and upset everyone is that the bikes aren't Swedish any more. We're not going to do that. Instead we're going to accept them as dirt bikes, just like any other, and talk about what works well and what doesn't on them. We'll admit one thing, with an eye to the past: these bikes work so much better than the much-lamented Swedish bikes that it isn't even worth joking about."

One of the 260WXE's tested belonged to our own "Husky Rips". I still ride my '82 Swedish Husky and have 2 water cooled ones in the shed. The reason the waterpumpers aren't ridden is because of the last sentence above. Next time someone says "That isn't a real Husky", say "Yes indeed". :applause:

Norman

Nice:ride:

thanks for posting. The flavor of that article sounds refreshingly unbiased:applause:

In '92 I studied that brochure endlessly. My first one was the '92 360 and man what a great bike back in the day. I have heard that the 260 had a really good motor on it. Everyone says the 360 was such a beast but back then I did not think so, it would probably kill me now. The only bad things I can remember about them were the rear brakes were hard to get rebuild kits for. I think that caliper was the same off a Yamaha ATV and being mounted backwards. I still have a '92 350 four stroke and every time I look at how narrow the pegs were I wondered how I rode that thing. Still not as bad as the 70's. Its going to be my vintage bike someday. In around '94 Dick Burelson wrote in one of the two dirt rags that the Husky 250 2T made his left knee still ache from the awkward kick starter from back in the day and some other snide remarks. This is about the time when he was working for KTM not to mention the two stroke Huskies were right hand kick.

We'll admit one thing, with an eye to the past: these bikes work so than the much-lamented Swedish bikes that it isn't even worth joking about."

Hey Norm! Would you mind re-reading this sentance and clarifying? I'm assuming they liked the Italian bikes here?

Thanks!

Hey Norm! Would you mind re-reading this sentance and clarifying? I'm assuming they liked the Italian bikes here?

Thanks!

I left out the "much better".:lol: Thanks for the reminder, I fixed it.:applause:

Norman

I am no historian, and maybe I misunderstood the quoted article, but I thought those years after husky was bought out by the itialians almost killed husky. It was my experience that the 90's bikes were heavy and under-powered compared to the pre 88' bikes. Please understand here that I am asking questions and not bashing our beloved brand. I would never do that. I just remember george saying that it was a tough 14 years that almost put him under. Any kind responces are appreciated as it will grow my knowledge of the 90's era bikes.... Thanks

CK

Just picked up this '76 250WR! :applause:

Its got RM250 front forks and brakes, suppossed to be all the rage in the day.

132601544-M.jpg

cekautsky,

Yes they were bad years for Husky...... Most of it had to do with Cagiva North America management, how they handled the dealers, merging two dealer networks(Husky and Cagiva) together and the parts availibility problems. The bikes from '88 to '90 were a bit of a funky meld of Husky, Cagiva and Huskygiva. From '91 on, the new generation of Huskys were great bikes and in only one model year later('92) they revamped them completely to make them even better, 2 and 4 stroke. As the article mentioned, people were so pissed off by the sale that it was and is almost irrational. I have guys in my club who were loyal Husky riders for years and when they wore out there '87 Huskys they bought something else and never looked back. They still look at my Cagiva Huskys with total disdain and would walk before they rode one, I'm not kidding.

Here's a quote from the '92 360WXE test in TR. "Okay, let's sum it up: the 360 has awesome power, excellent handling, top notch suspension, the best brakes and rims you can buy, weight in the ballpark, and excellent construction quality. The only thing the Husky has going against it, is a miserable dealer relationship with the parent company and not much recent racing history. Still, as we've told you before, the people in Italy are committed to building as they see it the best motorcycle in the world." A pretty ringing endorsement for the bikes.

On a side note.... most of Husky's world racing success came in the Cagiva era except in America. The 70's and 80's were lean years in Europe, while Husky dominated off road(not MX) racing in the US. First, modern 4 stroke Premier Class MX championship was Husky, not Yamaha or Husaberg. '01 Husky TE400 won the first ISDE overall for a 4 stroke in 30 years, Spain '00.

Norman

Thanks Norman,

I really appreciate your time to explain some of the history. I have been riding huskys my entire life but havent been too clear on the history during those years. Its nice to have the knowledge and history down so I can continue to stand up and defend my brand.

Thanks,

CK

Just picked up this '76 250WR! :applause:

Its got RM250 front forks and brakes, suppossed to be all the rage in the day.

How much did ya give for her? Looks pretty clean if it's original (sans RM stuff). Are you restoring or riding it?

How much did ya give for her? Looks pretty clean if it's original (sans RM stuff). Are you restoring or riding it?

I paid $300 which I thought was a pretty decent deal for a more or less complete '76. Its not running right now, but I'm confident I'll get it going without too much trouble.

And I'm planning on riding it, so the mechanicals first, then just a bit of cosmetics to make it look half decent.

Will be a couple of months until I get to it though. But couldn't pass it up when I saw it on craigslist. -Ed

Friend's son rides one just like it. I like the white tank update. You need to find a Preston Petty headlight. Don't get to crazy with the cosmetics, just ride it and enjoy it!:applause: