Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report - 2007 Tc 250 Tc 450

Hello everyone,

The weather finally cleared up enough here in the midwest to get outside and do some riding. I have been itching to ride these two new bike ever since I knew I would be for the 2007 season, back in November of 2006. That's like more than 4 months of wait and agony wondering how these bike will feel. Little did I know what was to come. First, of course I want to say thanks to Jay Hall and all the guys at Halls Cycles out of Springfield IL for all their hard work and knowledge about anything I can ask them. Give them a call for any of your questions or parts needs, I promise you someone AT THE SHOP will know what you're talking about. Now back to the ride report. A quick rundown on what I have done so far to both bikes. Both bikes are exactly the same on mod parts so I will list them one time: Full Leo Vince TITANIUM (yes FULL Ti) w/ carbon can, Pro Taper bars (CRF bend), ASV levers and clamps, Acerbis Honda CRF Front Fender, Fastway foot pegs, JD jet kit, scott half waffle grips, moose bar ends, and full Bike Graphix graphic kit. The suspension of course on both bikes have been completely rebuilt for my weight and ability by Jay Hall (springs, valves, shims, etc.), WOW!!!! I honestly haven't ever written up a ride report type of thing, so I am just going to tell it like it is. I LOVE THESE BIKES. After breaking each bike in with 3 twenty minute sessions, they were both begging to be ridden at speed. And that I did. Handling, suspension, motor, cornering, jumping, just about everything is AWESOME. As some or most of you know, I just came off of 3 seasons on CRF motorcycles, and in my mind and ability YES these Husqvarna can for sure compete with the Honda's. I was a little worried at first about the suspension on both bikes after having come from what many believe to be the worlds best thing out there, SHOWA CRF suspension (which was service and all internals rebuilt as well). I could not be any happier with the Zokes and Ohlins. I honestly wouldn't have been able to tell a difference if my dad had told me that my worked CRF suspension was on this Husqvarna bike. I would assume a BIG portion of that comparison comes from Jay Halls expertise and knowledge having set up both my bikes' supsensions. Motor wise, I was a little worried about the TC 250 maybe having some issues, but both bikes pull JUST AS HARD IF NOT HARDER, yes I said IF NOT HARDER than any of my previous CRF's. Both bikes seem to like to be ridden in taller gears than my Honda's in that I am pulling 3rd gear in corners where as I would have been in 2nd on the Honda's. I don't know what else to say besides the motors were super strong and lacked nothing in the means of power, low to mids to up top they were right there and strong. With the bad rap that magazines and honestly the overall general public have about Husqvarna's being bing, bulky, heavy, and pretty much nasty, I was most worried about the handling aspect of each machine. These bikes are perfect examples of a GOOD weight difference between other Jap bikes. I could barely notice any difference in weight throughout the track with the exception in some corners. In deep rutted out corners, the extra weight on these bikes seemed to help the cause; it got in a rut and its weight helped keep it there throughout the entire turn. It was never wanting to jump out of the rut like many times before the Honda's would. Again, this probably has alot to do with Jay's suspension, but still it was great. I was still able to scrub off of jump faces and throw some pretty mean whips, even on the "SO HEAVY OF A MACHINE". The bikes feel great. I was able to ride 3 out of the past 4 days, and each time feeling more and more comfortable on the bikes. I 100% believe that these bikes can do everything as good OR BETTER than any other Jap bike if people would just give them a chance. I am just telling everything like it is here, obviously all of us here in this forum have a or some Husqvarna's so there wouldn't be any need for me to try and talk them up to try and get you folks to buy one. These bikes really are amazing, so much better than I expected, and certainly capable enough to win a couple more Illinois District 17 State Championships in the 125 and 250 A motocross classes. If any of you have any specific questions, please post or send me a PM and I will get back. Sorry for being pretty sloppy and hard to read, but again I have never tried writing one of these. I wasn't able to get any pics of riding, but we are racing for the first time this coming weekend so I will for sure post some race pics after this coming weekend (can anyone say HOLESHOT!!). Also again, for any graphics needs be sure to call or check out www.bikegraphix.com (yes that is me on their homepage). Thanks

Blake Young

www.sponsorhouse.com/members/superx421

Excellent write up! Nothing better than a real life comparison. Thanks for the input.

Excellent write up! Nothing better than a real life comparison. Thanks for the input.

+1

And please hold us posted how you are doing in 07 with the Husky.:applause:

Thanks for the report Blake. It's good to hear a comparison from a real racer rather than the mags. Time to call my dealer, I guess I'll soon be a Husky owner :applause: .

Nice:thumbsup: Glad you like them. I have ridden many CRF's and I think that sticking in the rut and corners is part Halls suspension but a big part excellent geometry of the 4 stroke Husky frame. If you read through this site many like the way the huskys turn. I think they nailed the turning / stability thing. For racers I'm guessing the ease of maintenance is going to be obvious after a race season. Good decision on your part :applause: keep us posted on your results for the year.

Also give us a comparison of valve life compared to the CRF's. I am interested since you will be running higher RPM's than us woods riders how the adjustment holds up. I had a '04 CRF for a short time and that was one of the problems in the woods was it would not like to stay in the rut. I was told that there was a cure but I went back to a Husky. Found the cure.

...obviously all of us here in this forum have a or some Husqvarna's so there wouldn't be any need for me to try and talk them up to try and get you folks to buy one...

Thanks for the write up.

Like I said earlier in your pics post... I dont own a husky at the moment, though I like the bikes they build. I'm selling my 06 CRF this week, and just thinking of my next bike identity. I know it would be an "H" one (Honda or Husky). I know that the more time I spend here reading the H would go Europe way... I also know that both bikes would be great. I like the CRF size and weight and how sharp it turns, though for some places I ride it turns too sharp.

How about changing from sitting to standing position on the TC? - it was quite a task for my tired legs on the older husky WR250.

you say gearing is kinda short, comparing to the CRF - I thought there was nothing shorter that the CRF stock gearing (I usually start at 2nd and never go down from 3rd).

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'm really glad you decided to give Husky a try, I've been wondering what you thought of them. Maybe we can hook up for a practice ride this spring..........I'd love to try that new revalved fork:thumbsup:

Walnut??!!!!! Arril 1 Red Bud??!!

I'm selling my 06 CRF this week, and just thinking of my next bike identity. I know it would be an "H" one (Honda or Husky).

I'm in the same position, my riding partners keep asking me what bike I'm going to buy. I just tell them it's going to start with and "H" end with and "A" and be RED.

Hey everyone,

Sorry, but I was at my part-time job all day. I realized after I had posted that I didn't say anything about the geometry. Everything seems to be spot on for me. After having ridden CRF's for a while I really liked the way everything felt, so the goal was to get the Husqvarna feeling just like the Honda's. I put the same pegs and same CRF Pro Taper bar bend on each bike. This is simply being picky and some will probably make fun of me, but the hardest thing for me was staring down at that big wide and fat Husky front fender. Again, I know this is all mental, but I got use to what the front fender looked like on the Honda's while just sitting on the bike and anything other than that look felt weird, so I switched 'em out. From sitting to standing, and from standing over the rear fender coming into a corner and slamming onto the gas tank, everything is easy. If anyone on here is considering a Husky, try it out because I guarantee you won't be sorry. See ya later.

Blake

If the bike does well and holds up with no major issues - how long are you planning on keeping them? Some people seem to like to get new bikes every year over in the other sections of TT.

Nice report, I'm sure your info will be helpful to MX riders riding Huskys. Husky USA should consider a youth spec class for CR125's. It would be a good transition between 80's and 250F's and introduce young riders to how good Huskys are. They better doe it fast, before CRF150R completely changes the MX world.

Norman

Hey,

I of course plan on racing Husky TC's for the entire season, BUT I do switch the two I have right now for 2 new ones come midway through the season. If you know of anyone looking for a 2007 TC 250 or TC 450, give Halls a call and ask to speak to Steve (the salesman). They will have both bikes for sale about the middle of the summer, AND at GREAT prices from what I hear. Also, I know Steve has told me before that he can and is more than willing to ship any bike here in the U.S. Don't quote me, but I think he said he can get a crated bike from here to Cali for about $300-$350. Prices to vay accordingly I would assume depending on mileage and distance. Thanks

Blake

Blake, I'm interested in those graphics. I didn't find Huksy listed in their products listing on their site, but I'll be contacting them soon.

thanks

I don't believe Husqvarna is listed on his website. My guess would be because it was so recent that he made them up for me that he just hasn't had time yet to get it updated. He for sure has eveything you would need graphics wise for a Husqvarna and I promise you that you won't be disappointed in his quality. If you could and don't mind, let him know that Blake Young sent you. I would really appreciate it. Thanks