Sign in to follow this  

Shift lever rubs TT case savers

I just installed new TT case savers and now my shift lever rubs against the savers. The lever clears the case savers when being pulled straight up and down with your hand, but I tend to shift with the inside of my boot which causes the lever to shift inward just a few millimeters and rub up against the case saver.

I could just slide the stock lever over a bit on the shifter spline but I"m not too comfortable with that idea. I could also do a bit of cold forging on the stock lever but with my luck it will snap on me :applause:

Does anyone know of an after market shifter lever that has a bit more offset than the stock shift lever?

Nope.. bike has not been dumped over on that side... (yet :applause: ) I also ground off that little sharp edge before the bike ever saw action in the dirt.

My lever has a good bit of lateral play in it so that is my issue. (or maybe my lever was bad from day one and should actually clear the case a bit more.. not sure)

I think I'll just order an MSR lever. If I order a new one that will insure that I'll be able to fix my existing lever. :lol:

I have thicker than TT case savers on my DRZ and this clears fine.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=445

However the stock one did too. Did you drop the bike on that side? Make the lever is a little bent.

Who makes thicker ones than the TT savers?..They told me theirs were thicker than everyone elses.

You can bend your shifter out a fuzz.

Before I found TT I got mine from a guy on the Yahoo Groups for the DRZ400.

The URL does not post on TT but its motorcycle products dot org...

They are .08" thick, the TT ones may be the same thickness now.

my stock shifter rubbed a little when I put on the case savers also. I just took it off, put it in a vise and bent it out a little. No problems since. :shrug:

+1 on bending the lever, no problem. Wife laid bike down on that side and bent in the lever.

Ron W>

I guess I could try and bend the lever.. with my luck it will snap.. arggg :lol:

If they are steel instead of aluminum I should probably be OK with a little cold forging.. I think I'll give it a go. :applause: I'm thinking I should probably have one an extra one on hand for the future inevitable digger that bends it beyond repair so even if I fix it I'll order a new one (even if it is on back order).

I'll have to check out the baja designe lever.... if it is extended that might be preferable.

My shifter was doing the exact same thing, but I think mine might of been bent from an accident on the road. I went with the one on ebay for the drz400 and I really like it so far. It clears the case saver with plenty of room and I like it better then stock so far. Here is the one I got & the company sells them in different colors. It seems lighter and stronger then stock but I guess time will tell. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330044614639&rd=1,1

Just grab the thing and yank on it! Brace the other side or use a pry type thing so it doesn't pull on its pivot. Take you 2 seconds and save you $100 :applause:

I could just slide the stock lever over a bit on the shifter spline but I"m not too comfortable with that idea.
Nothing wrong with doing that. That's my setup. Once the bolt is completely on, no way the shifter is going anywhere but rocking up and down.

I wouldn't worry about breaking it with a slight bend.

Ifalldown bent his shifter this bad and was able to straighten it and is still using it. Granted it's steel so a bit more flexible.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=24794

That's absurd! Bending the shifter out a bit to avoid contact with the case is one thing. But that's just overkill!

i find that clampping it to workbench and a gentle touch up with rubber mallet works great (rubber has more give and takes some of the shock force)i dont know if the sicence is right on this but i have always had better results like this than with a normal hammer or pry bar type deal.

I wouldn't worry about breaking it with a slight bend.

Ifalldown bent his shifter this bad and was able to straighten it and is still using it. Granted it's steel so a bit more flexible.

I have the +1 shift lever and love it. Its a little slopier than the stock but otherwise great. I have bent it back under my peg at least 3 times... I did replace it after the 3rd time because it was a little screwed up looking.

I snapped my stock lever on a small stump and had to ride 5 miles in the woods back in 2nd and then 10 miles back home...

Keep the stock lever and bolt in your bag as a backup.

paochow that is one messed up lever :applause: that lever looks like it has over a 90 degree bend.. holy crap.

If that puppy bent back without breaking I should have no problem at all. I only need to bend it out about a 1/2". I'll probably bend back the stock lever and buy a backup lever anyway as a backup. I'll throw it in the box with my stock brake and clutch levers that I just replaced with new Zeta break away levers.

I have the +1 shift lever and love it. Its a little slopier than the stock but otherwise great. I have bent it back under my peg at least 3 times... I did replace it after the 3rd time because it was a little screwed up looking..

So what does it mean to have a +1 shift lever? Does that mean you went to the next size in terms of offset?

Its one inch longer... Got it so its easier for my MX boots. Its also steel so its flexible...

That sounds exactly what I need. I wear MX boots as well and things are a bit cramped with the stock lever. I shift using the inside of my boot because it's too hard to cram the boot underneath it due to it being too close to the foot peg. (that method is what is causing the lever to slightly rub my case savers)

What lever did you go with for the +1" length? Did you just compare your stock lever against other levers manually to figure out which one would be 1" longer or is there a lever reference chart (or something like that) that you used to figure out which would be slightly longer?