Sign in to follow this  

Wild Boar Enduro Ride Report

Well I survived the Wild Boar, and I do mean survived. I was completely exhausted by the finish. I don't know how many times the thought of quiting entered my mind throughout the ride. In fact we had a pretty lengthy free time at the second gas stop, and only about 15 miles left to go, and I was 5 minutes late leaving for that last loop because I just needed a little more time to motivate myself to finish.

It was a tough course, laid out in three loops, and covered every type of terrain at CC. It was unbelievably dry too, hard to believe it's the same place we were slipping and sliding all over just two weeks ago at the Quicksilver. I had a terrible first loop, got caught up in a minor bottleneck just before the first check, expended a lot of energy helping get a guy out of the way, and getting myself through it too. That put me off for that whole loop and I dropped an incredible amount of points in the first three checks. The second loop started out way better for me, maybe because a lot of it was rocky and I usually do pretty good in the rocks. The worst part about loop 2 was that I missed check 7, along with most of the "C" class. They were talking about throwing it out for the "C"s though because so many missed it and there were problems with the trail markings (no "W"s if you missed the turn). I scored pretty well at checks 4, 5, 6, and 8, but after that I really started running out of energy. The last loop was just a survival trail ride for me. I was going to finish, but I wasn't going to hurt myself doing it. I just cruised that last 15 miles, stopping often to rest and finish off my water supply.

The Timekeepers put on a great event, thanks to them and all of the volunteers that worked their butts off so we could come out to abuse and amuse ourselves. :lol::applause::lol:

Good seeing you out there yesterday Curt, congrats for finishing. Was an endurance event finishing with all 12 checks completed myself. Had a great ride in the sun and it's amazing how fast we can cover that much fun terrain in so little time, enduro vs. free ride. Thanks TMC.

Good luck with the series, I'm too cramped and too slow and now too hitched to ride real enduro's

Good luck with the series, I'm too cramped and too slow and now too hitched to ride real enduro's

Hey BigBob, I have heard that next year the Family Enduros will be a series for "C" Super Seniors and Gents (Masters). I'll be a SS next year and think I'll do that series, perfect for us old guys. You should think about it too! :applause:

whats up with check 7? when i looked at my scorecard at lunch i thought the check workers forgot to mark it?nope turns out a bunch of c riders didnt get it either.other than taking a few wrong turns,i had a great time!

Good ride report Old Dude. Big Kudos to TMC and all the volunteers for putting on a great event!!!!! :lol:

It was my first full Enduro and I was so excited/anxious that I couldn't sleep well the preceding three nights. I barely slept more than an hour at a time on Sat. night. Stayed in King City the night before and arrived at CC at 7:00 to get a decent line. Line 95 - LOL. I think I'll pre-enter next year! It was just two of us on the line until the second gas stop where we found another "95er" - he had missed the start due to DST! I can totally relate :lol:

I was concerned about dust, but while it was a bit dusty, it wasn't a big factor, nor was the temp. - I used summer/vented gear. It was a georgous day!

Overall, we had good day - no breakage/issues other than getting our butts kicked by the rocks and whoops. We were both monted on the 07 KTM 250XCF-W's and they handled the big hills and of course the ST very well. I've riden CC maybe 10 times (a lot of the single track included) and after this ride, it finally has gotten through my head - that place is ROCKY!!! I had an S12 rear mounted that only had the Old Crow HS on it and the tire was utterly shreaded - I've never seen a tire so badly ripped.

There were a few areas where it was "a challenge" to stay on/find the course. Sometimes the double arrows were tens of yards ahead of the turn and sometimes they were right at the intersection! I missed several turns. It was funny... my buddy and I were competing for "the lead" all day, but the benefit of going first and avoiding the other guy's dust was countered by the likelihood of missing a turn and loosing time :naughty:

One thing ticked me off. Twice I saw people cut the course. First, two guys bolted straight up a long steep hill to cut off a long series of fire road/switch backs. The second time was worse. During loop 3 we quickly passed a guy and gal who were on a row ahead of us (they had been pretty nice all day in letting us by). Then about 15 min. later, they appeared in front of me heading into some hills!! This was annoying and made worse because they didn't pull over quickly The guy finally pulled off but the gal (who was a pretty good rider but had been more stubborn about moving over during the day) stayed in the way heading into a very gnarly hill climb. The worst case happened and she stumbled on the toughest part of the hill - I just barely made it around her. If I had been snagged by her on that hill, she and her friend would have heard a ration from me :eek: My buddy got caught by their bottleneck and lost a couple minutes. Bogus.

We both finished with around 70 points (based on prelim.) - we did not miss Check 7 though we heard a lot of others did. Our prelim. ranking had us around 20th/23rd out of 128 C riders - but that was undoubtedly much better because many others were penalized for missing Check 7.

I'd never ridden my bike more than 75 mi. in any one day and after it was over I was pumped about finishing without "houring out" or having any other major issues (thanks to lots of tips from friends, like Danny boy, and others on this board). I'll be back for another soon! VERY FUN :applause:

Mike

I had a fantastic time! The Timekeepers cut miles of fresh trail just for this race. I also missed check seven. I'm pretty sure someone had run over the course markers so there were none to be seen. I'm with old dude...after the last gas it was all survival mode. I kept saying to myself...I just hope they don't drop us into another one of those tight wooded sections but I knew more was to come! :lol: Those rocky long hills were just kickin' my butt! I finished 133 overall which for me having not ridden an enduro for over 20 years and being on my drz400 s model, I feel good that I just finished without houring out. I actually had a couple of other old guys stop along with me at the 80+ mile mark and we all agreed we were gonna hurt ourselves if we didn't take a little break. I have NEVER taken a break at an enduro before...NEVER!! Thumbs up to the Timekeepers. They did a great job tryin' to kill us old guys! :applause: I tried to stay out of the way of the faster riders. I did my best to pull over as soon as possible and many riders did the same for me. I didn't have one slower rider hold me up all day. I will be there again in May....can't wait! :lol:

Hey Guys;

I worked check 7 yesterday. When we realized (very late in the race) that C riders were missing our check, I went and found the problem. It looked like someone had "spun a 180" and tore up the W. This was on a hard-right turn so the missing W obviously caused problems. BUT, there was still a single arrow leading up to the turn, double arrows right at the turn and two pieces of ribbon on both sides of the trail the riders should have turned on..

Sorry to all you guys who missed the turn!

Great job tr21r! :applause:

They had some preliminary results posted before I left that were for the "C"s with check #7 thrown out and those results had me 53 of 128. That's preliminary though, as far as I know the decision on check #7 wasn't final. :lol:

The biggest issue for me (read that "EXCUSES" :eek: ) were a lack of conditioning, the nasty whooped out road sections, and nursing a sore shoulder from the Quicksilver. The shoulder actually held up better than I expected, but would get pretty painful in the whoops and breaking chop. Normally I look forward to the road sections as an opportunity to make up some time and relax a little bit, but most of it was so dry and whooped out it was just killing me. The shoulder will get better, but I've really got to get in better shape if I want to do better in the rest of the series. I know for sure that I lost 15 - 20 points on the last loop just from being so out of shape that I was exhausted. :lol:

You guys actually did a great job on marking the course. If anything, it may have been a little overmarked! :applause: I helped put on the quicksilver for too many years to count and learned quickly that this is just part of any enduro. Course markers get knocked down, torn down, ran over...and this is part of trophying at an enduro, being able to read the course. It wins races! But unfortunately you guys had kicked my ass so bad by that point in the race :lol: that it's a miracle I could even stay on the bike, let along read the course! :lol:

Great course, well marked. I had a blast! Thanks to the Timekeepers for all of their hard work. Can't wait til next year!

Hey Guys;

I worked check 7 yesterday. When we realized (very late in the race) that C riders were missing our check, I went and found the problem. It looked like someone had "spun a 180" and tore up the W. This was on a hard-right turn so the missing W obviously caused problems. BUT, there was still a single arrow leading up to the turn, double arrows right at the turn and two pieces of ribbon on both sides of the trail the riders should have turned on..

One thing ticked me off. Twice I saw people cut the course. First, two guys bolted straight up a long steep hill to cut off a long series of fire road/switch backs.

Mike

Mike..was this around mile 7?

Great job tr21r! :applause:

They had some preliminary results posted before I left that were for the "C"s with check #7 thrown out and those results had me 53 of 128. That's preliminary though, as far as I know the decision on check #7 wasn't final. :lol:

The biggest issue for me (read that "EXCUSES" :eek: ) were a lack of conditioning, the nasty whooped out road sections, and nursing a sore shoulder from the Quicksilver. The shoulder actually held up better than I expected, but would get pretty painful in the whoops and breaking chop. Normally I look forward to the road sections as an opportunity to make up some time and relax a little bit, but most of it was so dry and whooped out it was just killing me. The shoulder will get better, but I've really got to get in better shape if I want to do better in the rest of the series. I know for sure that I lost 15 - 20 points on the last loop just from being so out of shape that I was exhausted. :lol:

Totally hear you about the whooped out fire sections. How about the last 5-8 miles of Loop 2 coming down 115 :naughty: OMG!!! It felt like it took an hour! It was killing me.

Hey Guys;

Thanks for the info on that. Personally I'm not that worried about what they do with check #7, I'll be fine with whatever decision is made. There was some major confusion going on when I went through there though, including a guy riding the wrong way on the course. I'm pretty good about not missing arrows, so I'm guessing that between the guy going the wrong way, and a couple of guys stopped trying to figure out why someone was going the wrong way, I probably missed the turn arrows as I was riding past them. :lol:

I was pretty sure I had missed something when I never saw a 55 mile marker, and I was real sure when I got to the next free time and hadn't gone through a check. I didn't want to ride the wrong way on the course though, so figured I'd just keep going and see how things worked out. :applause:

Mike..was this around mile 7?

Michael, no this was somewhere around mid-way fairly far out back. I'm not sure, but it felt like we were the farthest away from Oak Flat at that point.

It was a ton of fun. Dusty but it stayed low and didn’t affect visibility much. A little loose on traction but it was manageable.

i rode on line 6 with Jerry Talbot and Kevin Wiley. let's just say i tried to keep up with thier dust.

The layout, "meaning that we rode half a loop, then gas, then a full loop, then gas, then another half a loop," was interesting.

In the bigger loop in the hardest special test, my camel back broke open and leaked out in the middle of it. Grape juice all down my back and a$$, nice! And I was thirsty too.

Then towards the end of the loop. I slide into a rock on a sharp, rocky, downhill turn. Well, you guessed it, I smashed the hell out of my pipe. But it also broke the exhaust port off of my cylinder. I ran straight exhaust port into gas. Freaking loud!!

Pulled it apart at gas and managed to mount the pipe on what was left of the exhaust port, it was still pretty loud but tolerable, and not much of a power band or low end. Fixed my camel back. Gased up. And took off.

One long special test in the last 15 miles. I was pretty tired and my focus kept getting distracted from me farting around with the exhaust. By mile 85 and some change I was ready to be done. I dropped 7 points in the last loop.

All in all. It was fun. I road that cr like i stole it. I dropped 20 points total. It had some challenging special tests, and some very tricky check-ins. A lot of guys burnt the check into the second gas. That bumped me up a bit cause I zeroed that bad boy! Running straight exhaust. Guy yells, (nice muffler!) I yelled, (ya! It’s an FMF!) He looked at me like I had three heads.

So I was hoping to beat my 56 overall from the W.F.O. I think I might do it. Have to wait for the results.

the course markings could have been better. i found them to be inconsistant. just when i got used to the one arrow before the turn then double arow at the turn it would change. i figured out to look for the blue ribbon down the turns. that was key.

i had an old habit of blowing turns a lot, so i slow down for the turns anymore now. it slows me down but no where near as much as when i blow turns or get lost. this saved a bunch of energy for me.

thank-you TMC for another fun filled enduro!

signed,

Pipe Smasher

I got sicker than a dog friday but headed down to the race anyway. Woke up saturday felt like crap, wife went ahead and rode the wild piglet. Sunday I was worse so I bailed on the boar, but my buddy that I was going to ride it with decided he was going to go ahead and ride. He got 17 miles in and was coming down a steep hill caught his foot on some brush and poped his knee out of the socket. It was 50 min before the national motorcycle patrol was able to get to him. When they went to pull him off his bike his knee poped back into place! He was able to ride back to camp. He really wanted to thank the TMC and the national motorcycle patrol for helping him out.

I was told that check 7 would be thrown out. If nearly all of the C's missed it, then there was obviously a problem. Timekeepers were great as usual. Last 15 miles were pure hell!!!!

Had a great ride. I was the only person on min 67 so there wasn't much dust and I rode my own race all day. I was flying, had my head down the whole time. Half my points come from one sneaky check where I was 10 min early, but this was my first 'time keeping' enduro, lesson learned. Prelim says I got 31 overall C's, not sure how I did for Senior C's yet. I missed check 7 too- I even went back to look for the turn after not seeing any course markings but people were coming and I didn't want a head on collision. Big thanks to TMC! Can't wait till the next one. :applause::lol:

From JimB of the Timekeepers posted on the www.ama-d36.org website.

These events wouldn't be possible without the volunteers.

Thanks to eveyone for making my job as Event Coordinator an easy one.

Many long hours went into this event, but the stress levels were kept to a minimum with these volunteers stepping forward to help.

There were multiple clubs as Kraig mentioned coming to help the Timekeepers host another successful event. WSRA was represented as well. We even had some volunteers from a 4x4 club helping on the Piglet. There were quite a few non-racers that volunteered to help as well. THANKS TO ALL!!

A big THANKS to the Polka Dot crew for fixing my spark arrestor at Check 5 on Sunday so I could continue to ghost ride the course. Four of the eight rivets came out and I thought I was done. These guys dug through their fanny packs and got me back on the trail with a very creative fix. Worker great!! Good thing since I found a corner that was common with the Piglet that we missed the day before. Fixed that corner and kept going before settling at Check 9 to help wotk that Check location.

We had some issues to work through on both days with the results.

Sorry it took so long to get something posted. This had a big impact on the "same day trophies". We'll try to get the results posted within the next few days for both events.

There were quite a few C riders that missed Check 7. This was caused by a double arrow getting knocked down, then the W's getting taken out by the u-turns. There was still another set of double arrows in view since it was a 180 type turn. There were quite a few late rows that made Check 7. Based on this, Check 7 will stand.

Kraig Traum

AMA-D36 Enduro Steward

I was told at the scorers table that check 7 would be thrown out. I looked at 10 people's scorecards at final gas; one found check 7. I was in row 100, both my riding partner and I missed it, and no one near our minute seemed to have hit it. So, I don't think many of the "later" rows found it. If it's an Easter egg hunt, so be it, but I don't think it's up to the riders to "interpret" the course if it's not properly marked.