Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250 Problems With Shifting

Ok, I have a 2001 CR250 and it won't shift sometimes when I ride...it isn't a big problem because I can downshift it and then it will shift up again...but it just feels stuck before I do that and no matter how hard I push up it won't shift. My buddy just had this problem with his rm125 and it had nothing to do with the gear shifter, but someone had torqued something in his engine down too much and it made the shifter stick sometimes. Any ideas on what this problem is? If it is a piece of metal or something(which I doubt it is) I change my oil often enough to where I think it would have come out by now. Any help is greatly appreciated.:applause:

more than likely you have either a burr on the shift drum, or the shift star(the one with the 2 plates and springs) has a worn detent...

it could also be a bent shift fork catching on the shift drum...

more than likely you have either a burr on the shift drum, or the shift star(the one with the 2 plates and springs) has a worn detent...

it could also be a bent shift fork catching on the shift drum...

Is this something I could check/fix on my own? I've never been in the bottom end of a bike. Doing the top end on a simple kx80 is probably the biggest thing i've done to a bike along with rebuilding forks...so if I go step by step with the manual, is it easy enough to check out?

I would check your plates.

Clutch plates? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I pull in the clutch and pop the bike into gear it makes a slap noise right when I do it. I'm pretty sure it's my clutch engaging, does this mean that it's worn out? And if it is my clutch how could it interfere with my bike shifting? Thanks so far for the help guys! :applause:

Clutch plates? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I pull in the clutch and pop the bike into gear it makes a slap noise right when I do it. I'm pretty sure it's my clutch engaging, does this mean that it's worn out? And if it is my clutch how could it interfere with my bike shifting? Thanks so far for the help guys! :applause:

The slapping noise you are describing is usually a sound of when your bike is cold. The fluids don't warm up, therefore things clunk together. And if your plates/basket are toast, your bike will not shift properly. You will mainly notice that it slips alot or revvs high before it grabs. I think you know the symptoms of a worn clutch. But, the plates may be locking- they COULD possibly worn so badly there is no material left on them. It never hurts to check things out, sometimes it's a problem you would never suspect.

Is this something I could check/fix on my own? I've never been in the bottom end of a bike. Doing the top end on a simple kx80 is probably the biggest thing i've done to a bike along with rebuilding forks...so if I go step by step with the manual, is it easy enough to check out?

no, the only really reliable way to check is to split the cases and take some measurments...

The slapping noise you are describing is usually a sound of when your bike is cold. The fluids don't warm up, therefore things clunk together. And if your plates/basket are toast, your bike will not shift properly. You will mainly notice that it slips alot or revvs high before it grabs. I think you know the symptoms of a warm clutch. But, the plates may be locking- they COULD possibly worn so badly there is no material left on them. It never hurts to check things out, sometimes it's a problem you would never suspect.

Ok, I'll check my clutch tomorrow, and if I post pics could you tell me if they're worn out? I probably wouldn't know, I've never looked at my clutch...I'll post pics tomorrow. And if anyone else has an idea of why it might not be shifting I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!:applause:

Part............Service Limit

Clutch Springs..............44.7mm (1.76in)

Clutch Disk(s)..............2.85mm (0.112in)

Clutch Plate................ (.20mm)(.008in)

Part............Service Limit

Clutch Springs..............44.7mm (1.76in)

Clutch Disk(s)..............2.85mm (0.112in)

Clutch Plate................ (.20mm)(.008in)

Thanks! :applause: I'll check 'em tomorrow.