Sign in to follow this  

Oil Leak help 520exc

I have a little oil leaking out the upper left side of the head. there is a weep hole next to the waterpump and some oil came out. about a tablespoon. this happened once before when the bike was new in 02, it was still under warrenty so dealer fixed it, said it was some seal that went. that time alot of oil came out. Question could the bike have too much oil in it or is it this seal again? any Help appreciated

There are two seals on the water pump shaft, one keeping oil from coming out, the other keeping coolant from going in. The hole you are looking at is a drain of the cavity between those two seals, without the drain as coolant is under pressure we would get coolant in the oil when seals failed. I have never had one leak oil so I question if there might be a nic on the shaft?

If you go to KTMtalk.com probe around until you find a post by Jeb, one of the regular guys there, in his siignature is a link to instructions on how to change them. buy at least 3 seals as your going to ruin at least one the first time (and it uses 2)

Thanks for the input Dave..this is the second time this has happened and certified KTM dealer did the work. From what you say if oil is leaking the seal is definatly shot or shaft is nicked?