Purchasing 450 EXC tomorrow. What do I need to know?

I am purchasing a new 2007 KTM 450 EXC tomorrow can any one give me some tips on what I may need to know. I have riding experiance but it has been on a 1999 KX250 2 stroke so the 4 stroke lifestyle is new to me. I will be doing trail ridding in the Pacific Northwest (Washington). Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

HR

I am in Maple Valley. If you dont mind me asking where did you get it and what did it end up costing you out the door stock? My local dealer is trying to sell me at list plus tax, trans, set up, ect. I am not having it so I am hitting the road to cover a couple of dealerships tomorrow. I am not really all that mechinacially inclinded so are there are major problems with me leaving it bone stock for the breakin? And then start to alter as i get to know it better?

HR

I am in Maple Valley. If you dont mind me asking where did you get it and what did it end up costing you out the door stock? My local dealer is trying to sell me at list plus tax, trans, set up, ect. I am not having it so I am hitting the road to cover a couple of dealerships tomorrow. I am not really all that mechinacially inclinded so are there are major problems with me leaving it bone stock for the breakin? And then start to alter as i get to know it better?

Definitely shop around. Different areas have different supply and demand of course, but one dealer here came down as far as $100 off MSRP, no setup fees. But after shopping around I found a dealer who quoted me $700 off, no setup fees over the phone, and after I got there I negotiated another $200 off that for $900 off MSRP, no setup, just tax, tags, and title which are state charges not dealer charges so he can't control those. I felt like I got a decent deal.

It should be fine to break it in stock. But I'd recommend a JD jet kit when you get a chance. You might also want to consider a final drive gearing change, it seemed awefully tall to me so I lowered the gearing to 13:52. I may bump up to 14:52 but that requires a new chain so I'll probably just stick with 13:52 for now.

HR

Lynnwood motoplex has them for $7299 + tax/lic, when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago they were $6998 so they may still honor the older price. You have to mention the cycle trader ad to get the price.

Cef:

I snagged mine at Lynnwood as well at $6990 or so before taxes and plate etc.

No bs type of dealer, I worked with Ryan, but everyone there is pretty straight up in their dealings so I would recommend them pretty easy.

You will find that the 450 stock gearing is WAYYYYYY so high for any trail work.

You could easily break her in the way she is delivered, they sell them as race ready for a reason.

I would make changes once you figure out how and where you want to ride.

If you are going to ride offroad though, you need some guards on her, radiator, hand guards for you and would recommend with the one or two rocks we have around here, a skid plate of sorts. But each of those is a personal call for sure, but strongly recommended by all.

Im out of town this coming weekend, but if you wanted to hook up you could ride mine and see if any of the mods I have done would suit you and how you prefer your machines setup.

Just an offer and good luck on the bike hunt!

Make sure you let us know what you bring home!

Photos are good tooooooooo!

?

HR

:applause:

?