Sign in to follow this  

cutting down the handle bars?

I was cutting down my handle bars this weekend and ran into a problem. trying to cut the stock bars down to about 29 or so inches I found that the master cylinder hose and banjo bolt from the front brake were hitting the cross bar support on the tommaselli handle bars. I like my levers angeled down some but if I cut the bars too short then the levers would have to be angled very flat. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to avoid buying fat bars without the brace until I have made a few (many) payments.

Thanks.

Well as it sounds like you already cut them the only thing I can think of is if you just need a little tinny more room so they rotate you could loosen the cross bar bolts and slid the crossbar to one side. this will look funky as the cross bar will not be parallel to the bar any more. You might also slot the crossbar end holes to you can slide the clamps down and in some but this would compromise the structural integrity of the cross bar function.

I know some of you may not agree but I ran into the same problem and after consulting George @ Uptite, I just removed the Cross bar.

The stock bars have a thicker wall diameter than normal and I can't really tell much of a difference riding the bike.

Since doing so I have gotten off pretty hard a couple of times and also ridden some super tight South Jersey pines bashing the hell out of the bars with no adverse effects.

I ran into the same thing on my TE450. What I did was, instead of removing the crossbar, I rotated the brackets around so that there was more space on outer end of the bar. I don't know if the brace is as strong as before but I felt it was better than none at all.

MSR and ASV sell levers that is 1 inch shorter than the OEM. As last resort you can cut or grind down the aluminum off your stock levers. I have the ASVs, they are a bit pricey but they do give a much positive feel and they won't break or ben as easily!

I was cutting down my handle bars this weekend and ran into a problem. trying to cut the stock bars down to about 29 or so inches I found that the master cylinder hose and banjo bolt from the front brake were hitting the cross bar support on the tommaselli handle bars. I like my levers angeled down some but if I cut the bars too short then the levers would have to be angled very flat. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to avoid buying fat bars without the brace until I have made a few (many) payments.

Thanks.