Sign in to follow this  

Can I change My own tires?

Hmmm, Yeah, I am a bit frugal, I will give you that. My local honda dealer likes to pull my pants down every chance he gets. I inquired about the cost to mount tires. If I brought them in he could do it for $30 per tire, if I brought in the whole bike, it would be about $100. So, Can I change my own with some irons, if so what irons are recomended (i heard short ones suck) and what is the step by step process???Thanks!

i just use to normal length tire irons and a lot of windex. also if you have colored rims. get the tire irons with the plastic or nylon tips so they dont scratch them up

yes, tire changing gets easier with time, and those transworld vids help alot, good luck, and dont get discouraged if you pinch a tube the first time, some do, some dont, :applause:

Yes you can do it. Windex or some other lube is the key. And also where some gloves to help from busting up your knuckles. Also don't over tighten your rim lock like I did this weekend or you will be doing it all over again :applause:

I've wrecked a few tubes in the last fews years trying to learn. Now I can change my dad's tires on the 450X for a little $ :applause:

Ok, where do I get some applicable tire irons?

Any dealer or you can order them. You can also use screwdrivers but they dont work as well and scratch your rim more.

i use the 8inch(i think there 8 inches) motion pro ones, get three, it makes it easier, cause the middle one drops out easier, :applause:

I've got the Motion Pro Long Steel Tire Irons seen HERE. :applause:

Two were enough to put a 120 Maxxis IT on my bike and they have never failed my friends (I use UHD tubes and haven't had a flat yet) while on the trail. The price is right, too.

yes, its harder than normal to pinch one of those msr ultra heavy duty tubes, thats what i have used and havnt popped one yet,

I did my first tire change this weekend.

My local dealer is the same as yours - 40 bucks fro each tire, or, I can drive 40 minutes away and have them done for 20.

After my first change, I feel that it's well worth the drive and the 20 bucks for each tire.

I could do it again if I HAD to, but would probably opt to have someone else do it. It was a real pain in the rear...

The more you do them the easier it gets. I like to use 3 irons and a generous amount of WD-40 when I'm changing tires. If I'm changing them regularly it's quick and easy and you also can flip the tire around to use the better edge whenever you want for FREE. If I haven't done one for a long time it and forget steps or to use enough WD-40 or soapy water it can take me a while though. I always do my own and a shop here will do them for $9 a tire....guess I'm either cheap or a glutton for abuse....probably both!

For a newbie, can you tell me what "pinching a tube" is? Also, Are new tubes mandatory when replacing tires?

For a newbie, can you tell me what "pinching a tube" is? Also, Are new tubes mandatory when replacing tires?

Getting the tube caught between the iron and rim or some other thing and putting a small hole in the tube. The only time I have needed a new tube is if I pinched it or the valve stem was in bad condition. I have had a few leak after replacing the tire. I use a mixture of soap and water and a 5 gallon bucket as a stand. I wish I could afford to pay someone else to do it, but i've got six bikes to take care of :applause:

Watch the video

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1569040,00.html

I burned the above video and had it playing on my laptop on my work bench while reversing my rear tire. I'm convinced that the tire in the video is 2 sizes bigger than the rim, the tire went on waaaay to easily. I followed the video, which is a great video, and was sucessful with my very 1st tire change. In my experience the rubber of the rear tire is soooo stiff I still don't know how I managed to get it back on the rim. The time I spent reversing the rear tire I learned it is well worth the $30 to take the wheel off the bike and pay the dealer to change all of my tires in the future. Again this is my own personal experience.

Good luck.

Watch the video

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1569040,00.html

I'm convinced that the tire in the video is 2 sizes bigger than the rim, the tire went on waaaay to easily.

I've seen that video too and I am of the same opinion......NO WAY any tire of mine ever went on like that. But I will give the guy his due...he is a professional. That being said I don't mind doing the fronts at all. The rears are a different story. My vintage 84 xr has a 17 inch rear and with a six ply tire that is one stiff bitch. The 4 ply's go on a bit easier. The keys for me are to leave the tire out in the sun all day to soften it up....use pleanty of lube and of course a six pak can only help. Get yourself some decent tire irons and have at it....it can only make you a better man!!

Bill

Ive tried too many times, I quit and brought it to the dealer, I have like crappy 8 inch ones and they're alot of money to get 3 brand new super long ones. I can take off the old tire, mount up one side of the new one and get to the very end of the other side before I blow it, by then though it doesnt cost the dealer much.